29mm smoothie rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

29mm smoothie rebuild

i'm rebuilding a set of 29mm smoothies and the gaskets under the jet blocks have been ruined. you can't order these gaskets so i need to make some, they are basicly paper thin. Anyone have any susgestion on what i can use for the gasket material, i was thinking of just useing some loose leaf paper it's thinner then xerox paper what do you guys think.

what do you think these things are for anyways i talked to a guy from motorcycle carbs.com and he said they could be shims but when you put the jet block into the body without the gasket it is flush so anything added would raise it bolck higher then the carb body. could it just be a gasket to keep the parts from rubing? like a buffer thing?

-ryan
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Have you tried Sudco ? I think they still list parts for the 29mm Smoothbores though the carbs in totoare no longer available. Good carbs !

Comment

I'm not sure about this particular application, it sounds like you need something really thin, but I've heard cereal box cardboard can work for gasket material.

Comment

nope no dice, discontinued thats what sudco sez but i'm going call back after lunch and see if they have any suggestions.

yeah cerial box is to thick i'm talking almost newprint thin.

-ryan
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x

Comment

Try PEARL art supply or the paper source right across the street. They both have a lot of different paper/cardboard materials and synthetics.

Comment

File folders work well, if it's the right thickness and material.

Steve

Comment

Our local motor rebuilding shop has rolls of gasket material (various thicknesses) for custom gaskets. I would get something like this since it needs to be gas-resistant.

Comment

Many years ago we use to get sheets of gasket paper and make our own.

Comment

So you're going to put the great 29mm Smoothbores on your 550 ?

Comment

there you go pete i just updated my signature.
                    i talked to sudco and they just told me to use some paper, so now all i need to do is figure out the diameter of stuff so i can draw it up and print it.

-ryan
                    82 Kat 1000 Project
                    05 CRF450x

Comment

Working...
                    X