Computer Geek?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer Geek?

Hey guys I though if you hadn't heard of this before you would find it interesting since we all love bikes and computers.
    I was talking to an engineer a Electrix (since my r/r went out) and since my last one was(OEM) We were talking problems vs solutions and he said that if it is not an electrical problem killing my r/r then it has to be heat. He suggested connecting a small computer fan up to blow over my r/r to save it during blistering hot idle situations. :roll: I thought that was great idea other then the fact that larger heat sinks should have been designed into the darn thing in the first place! But still an idea that might save me 100 bucks every two or so years!

Perfect! You'd get 3 years! 1 year until the cheap computer fan siezed up, then 2 years until your R/R cooked itself.

:P

--Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by mitchn
      Perfect! You'd get 3 years! 1 year until the cheap computer fan siezed up, then 2 years until your R/R cooked itself.

:P

--Mitch
      You'd best use a 12v ball bearing fan designed for industrial use - ideally for horizontal mounting. I've seen these fitted on electronics enclosures in paper mills, saw mills and commercial printing plants.

Will cost a bit more than your average computer fan. For less than the combined price of a regulator and fan I bought a 35A regulator with a monster heatsink that just fits under the battery case. No heat problems with that puppy.

Comment

I just bought a new regulator for my 650. The new one has deeper heatsink fins, and a larger area to boot. Makes you wonder if Suzi started learning, eventually?

Comment

Elecrtix

I just hope Electrix has thought of that...I just bought one!

Comment

Re: Elecrtix

The Electrex R/R's have about 30% more cooling fin surface than the stock Suzi R/R.

Earl

Originally posted by Quickboat
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Re: Elecrtix

Originally posted by earlfor
              The Electrex R/R's have about 30% more cooling fin surface than the stock Suzi R/R.

Earl

Originally posted by Quickboat
              that would be about what this replacement has. Gonna look more closely at it. maybe I got an electrix instead of a stock one. that would be nice.

Comment

I had a GS1100E way back when and the regulator/rectifier went south on it. The reason was heat. If you relocate the R/R into the airflow, you will do a whole bunch of good... far more than putting a cooling fan on it I suspect. BTW: The company is Electrexusa.com I believe. cheers

Comment

Working...
                X