Blown main fuse on 81 gs 750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blown main fuse on 81 gs 750

i blew a main fuse several weeks ago. i replaced it even tho it looked good....the bike started right up.. i've ridden the bike several times since and thought the problem was fixed. last nite i blew the main fuse 3x. luckily i had fuses with me so i kept putting 'em in! i checked it out tonite and found a wire frayed and hitting the frame, one that goes directly to the R/R. i fixed it and tried to start the bike and all i got was a very small burp....then dead. but lights would work. then i waited a while and worked on some other things and tried again. now the starter turns the engine with no problem but the bike won't start. lights and signals all work. i did notice before the fuse blew 3x that my headlight would flash....the R/R is not stock. it has been replaced before i got the bike. i've searched and read and printed out all the things to check for fora blown main fuse problem. the bike is newly rebuilt so i don't think corrosion could be it. i know :roll: i cleaned all those connections....the battery seems to drink up alot of water.... i checked it and had to add quite a bit.. i just checked it 2 weeks ago... and it was full. i have a voltmeter and will start checking tonite all those dang/annoying connectors . any other suggestions? its just very odd..... the old suzuki has been so reliable!

Re: Blown main fuse on 81 gs 750

Sue Ann, the very first thing I would check is the fuse box itself. Remove it from the bike enough that you can turn it around to see its back. You will see at the bottom of its back panel, a slot. Stick a small screwdriver into the slot and pry the back panel off. (it is a snap on panel) check the internal connections inside the fuse box. Its a pretty sure bet no one has done that and it is the first place power goes to from your battery.

Earl

Originally posted by Sue Ann
    i blew a main fuse several weeks ago. i replaced it even tho it looked good....the bike started right up.. i've ridden the bike several times since and thought the problem was fixed. last nite i blew the main fuse 3x. luckily i had fuses with me so i kept putting 'em in! i checked it out tonite and found a wire frayed and hitting the frame, one that goes directly to the R/R. i fixed it and tried to start the bike and all i got was a very small burp....then dead. but lights would work. then i waited a while and worked on some other things and tried again. now the starter turns the engine with no problem but the bike won't start. lights and signals all work. i did notice before the fuse blew 3x that my headlight would flash....the R/R is not stock. it has been replaced before i got the bike. i've searched and read and printed out all the things to check for fora blown main fuse problem. the bike is newly rebuilt so i don't think corrosion could be it. i know :roll: i cleaned all those connections....the battery seems to drink up alot of water.... i checked it and had to add quite a bit.. i just checked it 2 weeks ago... and it was full. i have a voltmeter and will start checking tonite all those dang/annoying connectors . any other suggestions? its just very odd..... the old suzuki has been so reliable!
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

thanks Earl. i will do that tomorrow. i know i have never checked or cleaned that part.... heck, i didn't even know it came apart that way...

i decided to do nothing tonite but kick back and have a glass of wine!

Comment

Sue Ann,

Just curious, what fuse are you using as a replacement, 10A .... 15A ?
        Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
        "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
        1982 GS1100E
        1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Working...
        X