chain tightening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chain tightening

how do you tightening your chain using the "string method"?

-ryan
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Re: chain tightening

I tie a string around my finger to remind me the chain needs to be tightened. :-) :-) Sorry.........I never heard of that one.

Earl

Originally posted by first timer
    how do you tightening your chain using the "string method"?

-ryan
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

I think this fella is asking about using a string to determine if your back wheel is staight... I suspect if you put your bike on centerstand and had the front wheel staight... tied the string to an axle nut or something and pulled it straight back to touch your rear axle on the same side would provide a "length". Then if you move the string to the other side and repeat, it should be the same length. The theory goes like that or something similar. You can't always just look at notches on the chain adjuster as they are seldom accurate.

Comment

yeah that is what i was refering to, i rember someone breifly saying they use the string method to alighn the rear wheel because they don't trust the marks.

now my question is how do you keep the front wheel straight so you can get a acurate reading?

-ryan
        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x
        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer
          yeah that is what i was refering to, i rember someone breifly saying they use the string method to alighn the rear wheel because they don't trust the marks.

now my question is how do you keep the front wheel straight so you can get a acurate reading?

-ryan
          Dink uses a couple of bricks to keep the wheel straight, one either side of the wheel and with enough of the bricks forward of the wheel so that a third brick can be sat across the front of the wheel which helps hold the other two bricks in place and also holds the string tight as well

Comment

Try this link, there is a tech article on stringlining

Motorcyclist, America’s First motorcycle magazine, publishes new and used motorcycle reviews, bike news, and riding tips for riders that love to ride motorcycles!

It is simple once you do it. With the string aligned on the back wheel, you cannot get the front wheel lined up properly with the string until the rear wheel is straight. My adjusters on the rear on mine are out about half a graduation.

Comment

Working...
            X