Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front sprocket plate

1979 suzuki gs425e 15,000

I want to get the to the front sprocket but the little chrome access plate screws are welded on tight. I quit when the heads started to strip. any suggestions? are these screws a hard to find special suzuki screw or what. I don't want to bugger it if I'm gonna be stuck.

Nothin special - chizel the buggers off - this is if you are going to replace the sprocket! 8)

Comment

yeah I thought of this but... they are recessed into the plate a bit which I don't want to damage. To make matters worse I live in a remote town without road access. plane or boat take yer choice so I can't just zip to the suzuki shop if these screws are some kind of special thread or diameter.

karl

Comment

They should be a std metric screw.... sorry I don't know the size. But I had the same issue with my countershaft sprocket cover. A wrecking yard had a few buckets of screws and they told me if I found what I needed they were mine . Otherwise a hardware shop should have what you need once you figure out the size.

If you have a huge slotted screwdriver that fits in the recesses you can use that as a chisel.

I am seriously considering changing those (and any other I end up removing) with allen headed screws. Probably the best option for replacements, they shouldn't strip as easy.

Comment

Can you drill the heads off then get the rest out after the cover is off? Get socket cap replacement bolts and use anti-seize compound on them.

Comment

Originally posted by karl
            yeah I thought of this but... they are recessed into the plate a bit which I don't want to damage. To make matters worse I live in a remote town without road access. plane or boat take yer choice so I can't just zip to the suzuki shop if these screws are some kind of special thread or diameter.

karl
            When I replaced my countershaft sprocket, it came with the plate that you're worrying about damaging so yours might also.

Comment

Are you talking about the clutch mechanism screws? Don't need to take them off really. I've drilled and removed them with ez outs without a problem. An impact screwdriver is the other route. It's not that they are tight...it's just hard to get a grip on them. You'll laugh at how loose they actually are once you use an ez out.

If they are what I think they are they're just 6mm counter sunk screws with rounded tops. Very common. If they are the actual screws that hold the cover on replace them with stainles allen key bolts. Just bring in whatever's left of them to a bolt shop once you get them off.

Steve

Comment

all this info is gonna help me out big time thanks gang. a buddy of mine looked at my bike yesterday, his opinion is that the chain is stretched and the sprockets should be replaced at the same time. since the only way in or out of my hometown is by air or boat obviously I'm not gonna get stranded on the freeway so I'm gonna run it til it's done. Buddy figures end of summer then I'll replace the whole works. I'll use all this advice then.

appreciatively, karl

Comment

Working...
                X