removing cam caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

removing cam caps

I have an 82 650e and i want to adjust the shims but i can't figure out how to get the caps off. They have two cutouts on the bottom to possibly give access for a screwdriver or something but the only thing i can see behind it is a phillips screw. I can not get a screwdriver on it anyway. If anyone has taken them off before, let me know how to do it.

Your 650 is a two valve motor and uses shims to adjust the valves
    There is a special tool to depress the tappet bucket to facilatate removal of the shims CHeck this diagram

Comment

i haven't even opened the motor yet. What I am talking about is the round plastic/chrome pieces on the outside of the motor at the end of the cams.
      My 1000 has screws that are visable on the outsids of the caps. Maybe they come off with the cam cover?
      I was looking over one of your old posts(i think) and I did order a tapet depressor , so thanks by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
        There is a special tool to depress the tappet bucket to facilatate removal of the shims CHeck this diagram
        http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit..._name=GS650GLZ

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
          http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit..._name=GS650GLZ

On that special tool ?? Does it necessitate the removal of the head first or can it be done while on the engine???

Comment

Originally posted by slopoke
            On that special tool ?? Does it necessitate the removal of the head first or can it be done while on the engine???
            you don't need to remove the head, the tool just pushes the bucket down so you can lift the shim out...as for the cam end covers, the phillips screw heads you saw are what holds them on, you need to access them through the cutouts on the bottom of the caps, try a good quality(not Craftsman) stubby screwdriver with a #2 phillips tip, you may not even need to remove them to get the valve cover off (don't remember)...they bolt to the cover

Comment

I doubt you want to remove your cam plugs. When the head is machined, the cam retainers are machined alongwith the head and the cutout in the head is necessary but is NOT there for any sort of maintenance. Once the cam plugs are glued into place, they should stay there. To adjust your shim over bucket valves, you need to first get the correct tool. This tool is shaped kind of like a "W" I think but with rounded "wings". You will also get a pry tool. You push down on the valve bucket with the pry tool and insert the "W" thing NEXT to the shim where it just catches the edge of the bucket. If the "W" thing sits atop the shim, you will not get the shim out. You can do a couple of the valves at a time and need to rotate the crankshaft to turn the cams so that you can work a couple more. Once you have pried down the bucket, you will need a magnet. Get a magnet from the autoparts store. One that is strong and looks like a pencil that will extend works best. The shim will stick onto the top of the bucket as it sits in a recess on the bucket and the oil between the shim and bucket will hold the shim electrostatically. You may need a dental pick to initally break the shim loose from the surface of the bucket and then will be able to use the magnet to lift it out. You adjust shim over bucket type bikes with the head AND cams installed.

Comment

Zeke,

Are you maybe talking about the chromed cam cover end caps?
                Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
                "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
                1982 GS1100E
                1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

I imagine its the same as my 650gl and you do not need to remove the chrome cam covers to remove the valve cover.

If you really want to remove them, there are 2 screws that hold them on. The screws can be accessed from the bottem. The heads of the screw point toward the ground. You will notice the bottem of the chrome covers are shaped to provide clearance for a screw driver.

Comment

yes I am talking about the chrome covered cam end caps.
                    I think that maybe they stay attached to the valve cover when I remove it.
                    I just don't want to force anything and then have to repair it.
                    Also under the breather cap there are two screws.
                    I can not get to them easily with the frame in the way.
                    do they need to come off also before the valve cover comes off?

Comment

The chrome end caps do not need to be removed before removing the valve cover. they will all come cleanly off with the valve cover.

Comment

Really? What the heck have I been doing all these years... I think I'll keep taking them off to prevent damaging them.

Cheers, Steve

Comment

Eh, to each his own. I personally think that trying to meneuver an allen wrench in those tight quarters when unneccessary, a waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by zeke
                            yes I am talking about the chrome covered cam end caps.
                            I think that maybe they stay attached to the valve cover when I remove it.
                            I just don't want to force anything and then have to repair it.
                            Also under the breather cap there are two screws.
                            I can not get to them easily with the frame in the way.
                            do they need to come off also before the valve cover comes off?
                            No they don't need to come off, but you should tighten them while you have the VC off...

I lost one because the screws rattled loose...

Comment

Working...
                            X