Break lines and pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Break lines and pads

I purchased a '79 gs750. The breaks are aweful!!!!

Anyone suggest any good pads for this bike?

I also feel the break lines swelling when i pull on the lever. I would like to replace them as well.

Does anyone know of any place which sells the lines? I'm not sure if I want to replace them with stainless steel lines or not. I guess it will depend on the money.

Thanks in advance.

Stainles lines are cheaper than new stock.

Steve

Comment

Ditto on the stainless braided lines. I changed my 20+ yr old lines to stainless and the difference was like night and day. If you can try to get the plastic coated since the unprotected stainless lines will saw through just about anything they rub against. Don't skimp on the brakes - the difference could save your life one day.

Jeff

Comment

Ok...with that being said....

1. Where can I purchase a set of SS brake lines?
        2. Which pads should I use with the stock rotors?

Sorry for the lack of knowledge. The bike did NOT come with an owners manual. The service manual is on order.

Comment

I installed Russel brand s/s lines years ago.
          No problems at all with them. They fit correctly, no weird placing of the lines.

I'm installing EBC brand pads this weekend.

Someone started a thread awhile back about different pads and compounds.
          Try doing a search in here about it.
          Keith
          -------------------------------------------
          1980 GS1000S, blue and white
          2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

1. Where can I purchase a set of SS brake lines?
            2. Which pads should I use with the stock rotors?
            1. Don't know.

2. Use most any brand name pad and it will be better than the 20 year old ones in there now. I like the HH sintered pads available from a number of brands, but any quality sintered or organic pad will be decent for street use. Follow the manufacturer's bed-in instructions carefully as that can seriously affect the performance.

Stupid question - have you done a thorough bleed/flush of the old fluid yet? That alone should make a big difference if the fluid was more than a couple of seasons old.

Mark

Comment

Russell lines on the GS750E, Goodrich on the TL1000S. Any aftermarket pads will work OK. Pads are like tires-softer will usually provide more grip but wear faster-harder metallic pads wear longer but are harder on rotors. I have used EBC, SBS, V+H among others over the years, all with good luck. I would replace any stock brake lines with SS lines, they do not expand and provide excellent feel. Good Luck, Ed.

Comment

SS lines

Don't quote me on this or not yet.

A co-worker here is into mini-trucks (yeah, those trucks that people take the wrong direction and lower instead of raising them) So he knows where to go for good industrial fittings etc.

Anyway, to make a long story short, he knows of this place that supposedly if you take your old line in they will cut and make new lines for you on the spot. I plan on taking my old (22 year old anyway) lines there to see what their prices are. I will report back to ya'll and let you know how they do on price etc.

Just my .02. (Oh, it may be a few weeks till I get around to this as getting brake lines is not that high on my priority list at the moment when the engine is in pieces.)

Amos

Comment

I had a difficult time finding precut custom lines or "kits" for my 82 1100E. I got lucky and found a set at Flanders (www.flandersco.com). One option is to measure the length of your existing lines, add a certain percentage to account for increased stiffness in the ss lines and order "generic" lines of whatever length you need. You'd also need to get fittings as well. Dennis Kirk sells them as do several other retailers.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks all for your reply's. FWIW...I did bleed the brake lines. I just feel the lines swell more now. lol

Comment

There is a place in millersville that will make lines while you wait.

Comment

Working...
                      X