Trouble with front wheel swap on '81 1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble with front wheel swap on '81 1100E

I read in a post some time ago that the widest front wheel swap for an '81 GS1100E with the least amount of mods was to use one off of an 1150. I bought one, whose dimensions are 16" by 2.75, but it won't fit my forks. I assume I need different triple's... can someone please tell me which ones I can use? Thanks very much.

Austin

What part of the wheel doesn't fit? Slopoke has done this mod to his bike as well so it should be possible, maybe some different spacers?

Comment

Hi.

I made a similar rebuild on my bike. But I used a 16" wheel of a GS 750-83. That is 10mm wider in the center compared to stock. I solved it by taking the triples from the same bike and it worked good. Only had to modify the speedo/tach mount.
      A couple of years ago I bought a complete front end without wheel from an 1150. The triples on that were another 10mm wider, meaning 20mm wider than stock 1100. If that is the case with the wheel aswell I don?t think you can use the original -81 front end in it?s whole. Your forklegs in a 1150 triple may work, but sure I am not.

Regards, Chris

Comment

The rotors won't even begin to fit between the outer fork tubes- I think you're right, Chris, about swapping in 1150 tripple trees. Does anyone know if the brake application will work? Also, let me know if you come across any of those trippples. Thank you all.

Comment

Originally posted by chrille_08
          Hi.

I made a similar rebuild on my bike. But I used a 16" wheel of a GS 750-83. That is 10mm wider in the center compared to stock. I solved it by taking the triples from the same bike and it worked good. Only had to modify the speedo/tach mount.
          A couple of years ago I bought a complete front end without wheel from an 1150. The triples on that were another 10mm wider, meaning 20mm wider than stock 1100. If that is the case with the wheel aswell I don?t think you can use the original -81 front end in it?s whole. Your forklegs in a 1150 triple may work, but sure I am not.

Regards, Chris
          Hey Chris, tomorrow is your one year forum anniversary man

Comment

Hey Chris, tomorrow is your one year forum anniversary man
            I?m a bit late, but too true Hoomgar! Thanks for noticing. Time flies, in many ways. Both here and on the road :twisted: Can?t seem to keep the front to the road somehow, wonder why..... Just that GS phenomena I guess.

About the brakes. As I said I am not sure how the 1150 stuff will work but my brakes fitted like factory standard. However, if you use the 1150 legs aswell the spacing between the caliperbolts are different......of course. Then you must use the calipers and discs from the 1150. But that would be a BIG improvement since they are 2-pistons, no floaters. I love my GS, but the brakes are terrible at best. Even though the brakes are much better together with the 16" wheel than with the 19".

Comment

Working...
            X