Progress Report: IT LIVES!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progress Report: IT LIVES!!!!

Well, I kept my promise and kicked myself lots last night.
    It turns out I did have the leads to the coils for 1&4/2&3 reversed.

The bike runs but the #4 carb (far right sitting on the bike) has a bit of a blowback/coughing syndrome that only acts up at idle. Richening the mixture does not affect it. I reset all carb mix screws to 2 turns out and the rich idle is gone.

Any suggestions on the coughing? My bud Harrison Clement believes that the timing of the bike is off or it may need a valve adjustment. Could this be a result of the dyna coils? It didn't do this with the stockers on there

Thanks in advance,
    Dm of mD

I would check valve clearences first and then igntion timing.
    Dink

Comment

Okay kewl. There isn't a possibility it's fuel related is there?

Dm of mD

Comment

The only thing I can say is I hope you get it squared away before I show up in your driveway

Sounds like your getting closer man. But now your getting into the stuff I always pay someone else to do since I don't know diddly and wouldn't trust myself with a valve adjustment. Let me know how you make out on that.

Comment

Hehe...That would be too awesome man!

I asked if it could be a carb issue because I read that "Spit IX" had the same issue and he did this...

A few weeks ago I put the carb kits and the jet kit in...The bike ran OK but had a mild backfire through carbs and through exhaust while cruising. The backfiring would subside when I ran with the choke pulled 1/4 - 1/2. Sounds lean, right? So this past week, I dropped the e-clip and washer on my needles (per Dyno Jet) to richen the mixture. I put the carbs back on today and she fired right up
          ...and it solved his coughing/carb-fart problem.
          If worse comes to worse I've got a ride from the bike shop. I'll ride it over there and drop it off with them on saturday.

So close!!!

Dm of mD

Comment

I would check the ignition timining first. I've learned to do the easiest, quickest, cheepest things first.

Comment

Don't know how and no tools for the job.
              Also, if I take off the ignition cover will there be oil under there or will it leak?

Dm of mD

Comment

There is no oil in there no. The timing stuff isn't as bad. There is enough info on here and in your manuals to walk you through that. The valve adjustment I believe requires opening the valve cover and your getting into advanced stuff there.

Comment

Ah okay. That's what Harrison said too.
                  Well, I may wait two weeks until he can come over and help me learn how to do these things. That way I won't have to pay anyone in the future.
                  I can wait another 2 weeks...The patience will pay off eventually.

Dm of mD

Comment

Seconded, the timing is easy. All you need is a timing light and the proper feeler guages.

Just remember to time the idle, and then the advanced, then re-time the idle again. (My experience is that idle timing is thrown off by an advance adjustment.)

Total time, inlcuding removing the cover: 30 minutes, maybe an hour for your first time. Old timers can do it in minutes, some of them hanging off the side of the bike as it screams down the hiway.

Comment

Holy cow! that's keen!

Dm of mD

Comment

Working...
                      X