It’s alive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s alive!

My 1980 GS850G with 60k rides again. I bought her as my first bike last fall on ebay. My intent was to putt around through the winter getting comfortable on my first bike, so that I would be ready fro this great spring weather. Little did I know how far away that first ride would be. I have;
    Cleaned the inside of the gas tank,
    Rebuilt the petcock (the new Pingel is still on back order but on order none the less),
    Replaced all the fuel lines, and installed an in line fuel filter,
    Scrubbed the airbox and installed a new OEM style K&N,
    Rebuilt the carburetors, replacing everything I could,
    Replaced the intake boots and o-rings.
    And changed the gassy oil and filter.
    Today, I put the tag on her, and fired her up. It sputters and pops a little at idol when cold, but under load while driving it is pretty smooth and clean just some mild popping on deceleration. I reached about 40mph, and I could tell that it really would like to go for a real ride. Of course now I can see (and smell) the next project. The exhaust manifold gaskets must all be replaced. I suspect that may have something to do with the slight popping . I am also sure the carbs could use some fine tuning and syncing. I don?t even what to think about a valve job. I am not sure how well my newbie skill set will handle the carb tuning, but the valves are really intimidating..
    Anyhow THANK YOU to everyone who has written or responded to any post on any of the topics I have listed above. I have read just about all of them, and they have all been very helpful. You all inspire me to at least give it a try and not give up.

Patrick

Congratulations Patrick,
    Sounds like you have done a great job.
    I am located right up the road in Columbia Md.
    I am heading out on a 4 state ride with some folks that I met through this site (GSR).

Let me know when you get her done if you want to take a ride.
    Charlie

BTW I have (2) complete 79 GS850 if your in need of any parts let me know.
    Charlie

Comment

Rock on!

Comment

Congrats bud!!
        Glad to hear that everything is going great!!

Dm of mD

Comment

THIS IS GREAT. I can not get the smile off of my face. 70 mph never felt so fast, even if it was for just a second or two. I put 15 miles on it at in traffic on Sunday. (I would have ridden it on Saturday, but I forgot to turn on the fuel valve causing me to think that she was broken again for most of the day. Once I turned on the fuel valve it started right up. After taking it out for a real ride, it seems that it no longer smokes from the exhaust gaskets. Could it have been burning off old oil and engine degreaser on the front of the bike? It doesn?t seem to pop or anything anymore either. Well if I downshift when stopping it will pop a little.
          Charlie, I am not ready for the 4 state ride, yet. I am much too new to pull of such a trip now. But I will get there. I just have to get some experience riding in traffic. I am still just a newbee. I?d love having a contact with parts, but I am afraid that the only thing that fits this bike is from another 1980 G (not even a GL). It seems to have been Suzuki?s ?What the hell were they thinking,? year.
          Damien, Thanks for the support. I hope we can hook up soon. In fact there may be enough of us to have a Maryland ride. But I am pacing myself on this thing.
          Patrick

Comment

Hey Patrick! I GOT MINE RUNNING YESTERDAY!!
            I raised the needles one position and put the mix screws to 2&3/4 and it runs!!! I get some smoking from the front of the bike once it's warmed up like the exhaust isn't bolted on or something. I think that may be the cause of my lean popping. The backfiring from the carb has stopped and I rode it to church yesterday and to work today. I got so many kids waving at me and saying how kewl my bike is. It felt so great. This bike takes off like a BAT OUTTA HELL if you twist it!! It's insane!!!
            I plan to hit the highway with it today after work and see if I can get an impromptu fix of what is causing this exhaust leak.

I really hope we can get together next weekend and go for a ride dude. Please email or PM me if you're not busy and let me know. I'm dying to go for a ride with someone close by before I take it long distance.

:P
            Dm of mD

Comment

Working...
            X