Starter Relay '80 GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Relay '80 GS1100E

This is one I'm going to deal with tomorrow. I have a fully charged battery, just took it off the charger. I press the starter button the relay clicks nicely but the starter does nothing. I don't here the solinoid engage and of course the bike does not start. I'm thinking it is the contacts on the relay.
    What are your opinions?

I'd begin with a Test Light on the starter side of the relay. That will tell you if atleast a bit of current is making it.

Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve,
      I have the multimeter ready to go. I'm really hoping that it is the relay and not the starter. Is it really necessary to remove the timing chain tensioner and the carbs to get the starter out? It looks like there is enough room to get to the screws that hold it in and slide it out.
      Originally posted by srivett
      I'd begin with a Test Light on the starter side of the relay. That will tell you if atleast a bit of current is making it.

Steve

Comment

You don't need to remove the carbs. The tensioner has to come out for the twins but probably not for the 4 cylinders.

Steve

Comment

Well dig this,
          I checked the output of the relay, OK. I check resistance between the relay and the starter, OK. So I pull the starter, no brainer if you have small tools. pulled the starer away from the engine and hit the start button and the starter goes round............So I remount it. Turn the key hit the start button and the bike fires right up. Go figure I guess the starter was just .......stuck.

Comment

Working...
          X