'79 GS550E Carb Problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'79 GS550E Carb Problem?

I recently came upon a smokin' deal on a 79GS550E and decided to pick it up. The bike was not running and had been sitting idle for over three years . After transporting it home, and getting the right manuals, I started cleaning it up and trying to get it going. Drained and replaced old fuel, got battery charged, checked for sparks on all four cyls, but the bike refuses to fire up. When removing the cover and air filter, and spraying carb cleaner the bike runs briefly and then stops. So it all points out to a fuel delivery problem. I checked that fuel does flow from the tank, so the only suspect parts are now the carbs.

What is the easiest way to get them cleaned, short of dismantling them? I was thinking of pulling them of the bike and letting them soak for a a few days. I would like to avoid dismanteling them, out of fear that I could not set them up right again. (I did this on my BMW R75, and had a hell of a time syncing the 2 Bings)

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
    alex

Re: '79 GS550E Carb Problem?

Unfortunately, with the internal rubber "O" rings and plastic parts, the carbs cannot be soaked or cleaned without disassembly. You will need to buy replacement "O" rings/rebuild kits as it is a pretty safe bet things have dried out from it sitting for so long.

Earl

Originally posted by yvr_alex
    I
    I checked that fuel does flow from the tank, so the only suspect parts are now the carbs.

What is the easiest way to get them cleaned, short of dismantling them? I was thinking of pulling them of the bike and letting them soak for a a few days. I would like to avoid dismanteling them, out of fear that I could not set them up right again. (I did this on my BMW R75, and had a hell of a time syncing the 2 Bings)

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
    alex
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Earl is right. If you just dunk them in a cleaner, you'll make things worse.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

i rebuilt all 4 carbs in my '80 gs550e and it really wasn't that bad of a project. the carb rebuild guide on this site was invaluable and as long as you have a service manual and keep track of what goes where it's pretty simple. unless you really good at labeling or remembering i'd recommend doing one at a time that way you'll have a template for putting things back together.

as far a syncing them, once again just get the right tool and follow the instructions.

good luck!

Comment

Working...
        X