Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Untuned Carbs

Hey Folks,

Im having a little dilemma that I can't seem to figure out. Well here's the back story: when I bought my 1985 GS550-LF, it would smoke out the tailpipes like the carbs weren't adjusted right. I cleaned out the carbs and took notes of the main and idle jets. After reading the chilton manual, the jets I had in my bike were for the LD model, not the LF model.

Why there were LD jets in my LF bike i don't know but I can only assume that someone didn't feel like cleaning the carbs so they replaced them with a junkyard set of LD carbs.

To fix the problem, I changed out the jets to what they should be listed for my model. (My bike is completely stock except for an elextric regulator...which has nothing to do what-so-ever with the fuel mixture) and the bike still smokes, but not as much. Is there something im missing? I don't know if its running rich/lean, but my clothes come out stinking of bad exhaust when im done riding...and I don't want to stink like exhaust when I get to work, so Im not really able to ride bike

Any ideas? If the float is off 2mm could that make a difference? What about the pilot screws (the ones on the top of the carb that noone really knows what the heck they are for)...I have them currently at 3.5 turns out and when I run them in, the bike doesn't idle so well. Maybe they want to come out more? What are they for exactly?

Any Input Greatly Appreciated!
    Thanks,

Can't help you with your problem but it's nice to see a fellow "G-mail lister"
    has a GS too

Comment

Air

Those are your air screws and I think that's at least part of your problem, if not the whole thing. It sounds like the bike is running quite rich and I think your air screws are turned out too far. Try adjusting them inward, one at a time, while listening to the idle. By the way, what do your plugs look like???...black and wet, I'll bet. Your plugs can often tell you the story so check them out. Good luck!
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

A 2 mm difference in the float setting can make it run very rich if it is set on the high side

Comment

Working...
        X