How do you replace a chain 77 gs750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you replace a chain 77 gs750

Is there a good way to get at the front sprocket in order to replace the chain. I have a 1977 GS750 with a really noisy chain. I've got a replacement chain but I don't want to take too much apart bcause I'm afraid with a bike this age something is frozen or just won't go back together.

Thanks,
    Tom Q

Chain

You probably ought to change the sprocket, too, because if it's badly worn, it will drastically shorten the life of your new chain. If you just want to put on the new chain, you can do it pretty easily if the existing chain has a master link. If it does, you can connect the new chain to the old one and pull it through.
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

If you have the original chain you will have to cut it. If you have not got the replacement ?? Most of the chain gang are going to a 530 chain conversion. If you buy a good one it is stronger that the factory 630 chain from 1977, gives better preformance and runs quiter
      Shop the best selection of motorcycle chain, sprockets & chain kits at Sprocket Center. We take the guesswork out of replacing your sprockets & chain. Our made-to-order chain kits for all motorcycle makes/models are available in OEM & custom sizes.

Comment

Hmm. Let's see if I remember this correctly. Left foot peg. Remove the front bolt and loosen the back one. Pull the footpeg down to move out of the way. Remove the three screws on the clutch actuator cover and remove cover. Loosen off clutch cable and unhook from clutch actuator. Unsrew clutch cable from cover. Remove shifter lever. Remove 8 or so screws holding the sprocket cover on. Remember, there are two screws in the clutch actuator area that hold the cover on. Remove cover. Ta-dah! You should see the countershaft sprocket and a lot of mungafied grungas! If not, you are working on a shaft drive bike!
        Kevin
        E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
        "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
        Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Well, does your new chain have a master link?

If so, just cut the old one off (a dremel works well) & thread the new one on... You may have to take the front sprocket cover off to do this, but it avoids removing the wheel...

Comment

chain

Loosen axle and chain adjusters slide wheel forward. If you got a master-link undo, connect newchain with link and pull old chain off causing the new one to roll on. No other bolts to remove but that is the cheats way because you are buying new sprokets aren't you?

Comment

Working...
            X