Carb dissasembly: what are 'safe' ways to free stuck screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb dissasembly: what are 'safe' ways to free stuck screws

Ok, I have a GS-850 that nreds a carb cleanup, as evidenced by YELLOW, turpentine-smelling gas in the tank & carb bowls.

Problem is that the screws holding the things together are frozen. Not frozen to the point of breaking heads off, but frozen to the point of stripping heads.

Now I'm hesitant to use normal penetrating oil (Pb, Kroil, etc) for fear of it damaging diaphragms, gaskets, etc... Same for an impact wrench - worried it might break the heads...

I don't want to strip the screws in place, but I need to get them out... I plan to replace them with stainless screws once I'm done, so salvaging the screws is not an issue...

Any suggestions...

Make sure the screwdriver fits good and give it a good tap with a hammer then try to turn it. Worst comes to worst drill the heads off

Comment

Needle nose vice grips will get all but the float bowl screws out. I doubt they are actually seized, they're just on tighter than a screw driver can bite.

Steve

Comment

I had the same problem on the diaphragm cover and bowl screws for my carbs. (Some of them ..)

1. Start with a NEW #2 phillips screwdriver or bit. If you're using a bit, if you strip a screw, pop in a new bit. They're cheap and it makes a heck of a difference.

2. If you can't get a screw off, use small vise grips - worked great for me, even on the bowl screws.

3. A dab of anti-seize on the new screws will prevent these problems in the future.

Good luck!

Comment

I used Kroil all over by carbs and an impact screwdriver. It was the only way these things were coming apart. The boot cover has bolt heads, so a lighter dab or Kroil, and a good fitting socket with a long handle should do the trick there. I hope this helps.
          I am a true believer in the power of Kroil + Impact driver. I am also a believer in going to the hardware store and buying stainless allen head replacements for anyting that you have to use an impact screw driver on!
          Patrick

Comment

i second impact screw driver. use the driver as a screw drive when you can and when not then try the other more agresive methods.

-ryan
            78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
            82 Kat 1000 Project
            05 CRF450x
            10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

DONE

SCREW PROBLEM SOLVED

Sharp screwdriver, hammer, visegrips...

Now, I've got to deal with those stupid float pins...

Anyone know the part # for carb float pins?

Any suggestions on how to get them out without busting the pins or the carbs?

Comment

Another idea is to use a hack saw on the ones you do end up stripping, making a nice large flat-head slot in them. Then go to hardware store and replace those crap fasteners with some hex heads, it looks cool and will save you trouble the next time

Comment

Working...
                X