450 carb issue... Bogging & fuel venting out vent tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

450 carb issue... Bogging & fuel venting out vent tube

On my 450, I have started to notice a carb problem...

The bike will start to bog & simultaniously dump fuel out the vent tube of one carb (not both) - dumps as in a steady flow. Adding choke corrects this, but that's nbviously not the solution...

Any ideas?

If it is dumping fuel out of the vent The carbs are flooding Check the float valve in the carb

Comment

The tube you describe is the overflow tube under the carb. As SqDancer said, check your float needle valve. It's a valve that the tab on the floats pushes against. You may have some dirt or rust particles interfering with its ability to seat. It could also develop a small burr on its side and it's hanging up. It may also simply be worn and needs replacing.
      If you have a short screwdriver you can remove just the carb bowl and service it.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I would take them off and give them a good cleaning, especially the float needle area and check the float level.

Comment

When I had that problem it was a leaking float. Take it off and make sure there's no liquid sloshing around in there.

Comment

Float needle seat was loose (on 80-82 450s, they SCREW into place, instead of press-in like the bigger GSes & 83+ 450s)...

FIXED.

Comment

Working...
            X