Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to adjust Cam Chain tensioner? Currently on a road trip.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to adjust Cam Chain tensioner? Currently on a road trip.

Hi all,
    I am on a trip and my manual is at home. 81 GS850L. I have checked/ adjusted Cam chain after a engine rebuild about 5,000 miles ago. But I don't remember the specific procedure on this bike.

The reason I wanted to check it is it seems to make a bit more noise than it used to. Most noticeable when it is cold idling lowere RPM. 1 K instead 0f 1200 K once it warms up the noice dies down.

The other factor is I have been running with the lowers on my Windjammer fairing and I think the noice bounces around more.

Anyway,
    Thoughts on checking adjusting? Or any other suggestions on the subject?

Thanks, Charlie

I did some searching and found the thread started by srivett in Tips and Tricks ( How to adjust cam chain tension).

Still interested in any observations/suggestions. Does my descrition sound like cam chain tension? Again most noticeable when low cold idle.

Thanks,

Charlie

Comment

Charlie,

You could be hearing valve noise. You say it's been 5000 miles since a rebuild. Have you adjusted valves since then? Another possibility is clutch basket clatter. Lots of GS's have this and it is usually worse when cold. Or you just might be noticing it more on a trip. Regarding the tensioner, be sure the locking screw is turned out sufficiently to allow the plunger to move freely. I recently helped another GS'er whose 550 sounded like a bag of nickels. We found the locking screw tightened down so the plunger could not move. We released the locking screw ad the bike was nearly as quiet as new. Once the tensioner is working correctly you shouldn't have to touch it. Whatever it is, if it isn't too bad and doesn't get significantly worse I'd just ignore it and enjoy the ride!

Have a great trip,
      Joe
      IBA# 24077
      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

The GS being air cooled is by nature a noisey engine,
        but it is bullet proof> Adding the lowers has just made you more aware of the existing noises

Comment

Thanks for the replys. I agree with both.
          Back on the road.
          Charlie

Comment

Working...
          X