No announcement yet.

Making Your Own Oil Cooler Adapter Plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still have the rear adaptor for my oil cooler on the bike (Yoshi one). It is a full flow design - all the oil goes up through the cooler then back in again to continue on its original path.

Remember this is a low pressure oil system so it makes sense. Oil pump pressure is only 1.42 psi with plenty of flow.

The factory manual I have shows a full page of the oil system. The GS1100 are probably the same. The main path is: sump, sump filter, oil pump, oil filter/oil bypass, pressure switch,, then it splits off to the transmission/clutch and to the top end/crankshaft.

Perhaps the later maotrs use the bypass passage (those plugs at the front?)

Comment

Originally posted by saaz
      Perhaps the later maotrs use the bypass passage (those plugs at the front?)
      That bypass is actually on the filter itself. Next time you pick up a GS1100 filter, look at the closed end and you will see a round circle/plate. You can push this in with your finger. It is there in case your filter gets clogged and will not allow oil to flow through the filter material.

Hap

Comment

Well how about that! My GS1000 uses the same filter as the 1100 (just different gasket - I have a few spare GS1100 gaskets from when both the GS1000 and 1100 gaskets came with the filters si if anyone in Oz needs any I can mail them). I have never bothered to try push in the end!! After 22 years I must have used a few of them as well.......

Comment

Working...
        X