Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS-850 Carbs - where to get replacement float pins, and a ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, last year when I rebuilt my 34mm carbs I just used my dremel tool with a cutoff wheel. The wheel is so slim that I could cut the pin in between the post and float tang, then I proceeded to push out the remnants with a punch. When it came time to acquire new pins I used stainless steel tig wire, this I cut long enough to go past both the posts but just under the inside width of the fuel bowl. These pins now just free float with no binding what so ever. Now in the future if I have to change the float valves or o-rings, etc I can do so with ease. Good luck.

Comment

My local dealer just happened to have 2 NOS float pins.

The wire-snips route worked for the other 2...

JB Weld didn't work, so I took the carb body to the local independant bike shop, where they used an actual welder on it...

Carbs cleaned, installed, and the bike runs just fine... Now I just gotta get it home ...

$300, a few hours of carb cleaning -> very nice GS850GL...

Comment

Glad to see I'm not the only one who had troubles with the post breaking when removing the float pin. Mine had actually been broken by a previous owner and was JB welded. I tried to do the same, but more experienced biker friends talked me out of it. Right now I have the post set with a rod placed into holes drilled into the base and broken off post and some aluminum weld that built it up. It's all filed down to fit, but if it turns out to be a problem, I see that I have some other options from this discussion. I certainly appreciate the input. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

Comment

Working...
        X