staying in the wind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

staying in the wind

I am thinking of buying an engine I have located for spares for my 83 GS550E.Engine is off 85 550ES.Will it replace mine as a unit or what would not work?Are there any performance gains?I may need a head on mine soon,and motor is cheap enough if most parts interchange.Also could GS750 top end be fitted easily?any help is appreciated.Thanks,Wolfie

you should be able to swap the 85 motor straight in with no mods neccesary. I wouldn't try the 750 top end unless you just have so much money to throw away. these 550 motors are a very respectful engine Ive had many keep up with my 750 and they were stock.

Comment

Thanks,I was able to pick up 550 engine pretty cheap,so I went that route.I have had carbs rebuilt twice now on the 550E,most recently by reputable dealer mechanic,yet I continue to gas foul plugs in about 200-250 miles.Always #3 then#1.Much worse in city(30-50 miles)I always park on center stand as I am reformed triumph junkie.I seem to be charging OK(12.23 is current voltmeter reading with bike not running after 40 miles of stop and go including starting bike 6-8 times)Bike is crisp and strong with new plugs for 150 miles or so,then starts deteriorating.Does not seem to be as bad on higher speed trips,but still has same problem.Also,maybe related,if I do not run on prime for several miles bike will die as if starving out.Go to prime for several minutes and problem goes away.After bike picks up fuel it runs well in any position.I have rebuilt petcock also to no avail.Please help as I like and would keep this bike if I can get it right.Thanks Wolfie

Comment

if you've picked up the other 550 motor to install I would start doing the switch then do your troubleshooting. if your trying to troubleshoot on a motor that is in dyer need of internal repair then adjusting your carbs and changing plugs are to no avail. make sure your motor has good compression, a clean valve adjustment, fresh oil change, and clean fuel and vacuum lines before you start. otherwise you are shooting yourself in the foot all day.

Comment

Thought I had a valve problem due to low vacuum on left side.Since first post I had dealer mechanic build carbs(spare 550ES engine has no carbs).This fixed vacuum problem as first rebuild was done badly wrong by local shop(Thunderstruck cycles in Greer S.C.Run by idiots STAY AWAY!!!STAY AWAY!!!)Compression checks good (+or- 5lbs between cylinders).Bike is CRISP strong and smooth on new plugs.I am hesitant to change motors as I have never heard ES engine run and it has sat dry for 2-3 years.Turns over but that is about all I can guarantee and came from nice bike that was parted.Supposedly ran well before it lost CDI.Also my 550E is nice clean all original bike.I will post pics when I outwit the digiital camera.Thanks for your help,it is GREATLY appreciated!

Comment

you stated that your compression was good between cylinders, but are they within factory specs? I would go ahead and check your valves, get the adapter that allows you to put compressed air into the cylinder via the plug hole. about 50 psi is all that is needed to check and see if your rings and valves are sealing good. you might be able to build one out of some brass fittings if you can get the right sizes.

Comment

From just a visual comparison of my two bikes it looks like where the barrel bolts to the bottom end the 750 has a wider spacing, and where the head bolts to the barrel also has a wider bolt spacing. The exhausts are also larger and wider spaced, and the tranny is all different. I was surprised to see that the ignition cover was also larger on the 750, there's no reason for this, the ignition plate is the same size (uses different points!). It looks like all that will interchange engine wise is the rocker cover and stator cover. Just in case you're still curious.

Comment

Compression was checked by suzuki wrench at dealer.He stated to me all was fine so I assume it was within specs.I believe him as I had spoken tto him about changing head out and am sure he would like the hit on that job if he felt it needed it.Suggested a new battery which I put in this weekend.Seemed to think motor was O.K.at heart.He built carbs and checked valve adjustment.Seems to know his stuff,and competitive price for dealer,but my pockets are still only so deep.I do have some mechanical skills as I rode and did all the repairs on the triumphs for many miles and years.Suzukihas sat at some time.I bought it at auction.It ran but not well.I had to clean and treat the tank(kreem kit)Had carbs built and plugs and it runs O.K.Battery was up when I got it,never went down,but failed dealer wrenchs tests so I changed it out yesterday to see if that helps.The day before I had changed plugs and went to hotter plugs.Rode bike about 250 miles 2 up.Seemed better but still has plug breaking down.It has not totally fouled yet after about 320 miles so much better than before.Also if I wind bike up it will clean up and pull hard again.Thanks,Steve

Comment

Between me and my friends, we owned 4 GS550E/ES's ranging from 83 to 86 (the years of the TSCC head, and the sportbike look). A great bike with plenty of power and great handling and brakes.

Those carbs are tricky, takes very little to get them way off, and cleaning/removing them is a task and a half. Glad you like it, when they run good, they are quite peppy! I get about 48 mpg with mine, low as 42 when run really hard. The only time the plugs foul is when the carbs are out of adjustment. When storing for the winter, either drain the carbs or run a really good perservative to keep from plugging up the pilot jets.

All in all, have fun with it!
                  Kenny
                  Still own the 85 550E, sister ship to the FJ1100

Comment

Working...
                  X