Hmmm...not quite.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm...not quite.

Well, I decided today to drop the bike off with the mechanic to get an assesment of what's up with the ratbike and to get the carbs balanced.
    I got it running but it still has "issues". The lean backfire is gone now but the exhaust still smells rich. Maybe it's the way the stage-3 kit is...I dunno now but I will soon find out.

Also, I do not believe the exhaust headers are properly torqued down to the engine case? Should I be able to see a gap with space and also be able to see the bolts?

Also, what could be causing it to drop below 1000 rpm when I slow down to stop at a stoplight? I have to blip the throttle or hold it at 2000+ rpm to keep it from shutting off. :roll: I know it's something simple but I just don't know what. Then after I blip it it sits at 2000 rpm and won't go lower. If I adjust the idle screw/knob it drops down to 800 rpm and starts to fade out like it wants to shut off and has shut off a few times.

So the list goes:
    1. Carb balance/synch & Tune
    2. Exhaust check
    3. Rear tire replaced

I have faith that the mechanic will get the bike closer to running right than I can. Even though when I ride it now it's a powerhouse, the whole "Cutting off when I slow down" and "Idle at 2000 rpm" just isn't right.

Man this bike is a rocket!!!
    Can't wait to get it back! Imagine then!!! Wow.....Just wow.
    This is gonna ROCK!!!

:P
    Dm of mD

WooHoo!
    I take it Joe couldn't fit you in? Or was maybe to far to drive the bike?
    I was hoping he could because then I know you would get it running as good as it possibly can and for the lowest price.

Wish you the best with it, get it running right and we would sure enjoy having you join us on our PA run later this summer

Rock on bro!

Comment

I would sugest that you lower the fuel level 1mm and try it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
        WooHoo!
        I take it Joe couldn't fit you in? Or was maybe to far to drive the bike?
        I was hoping he could because then I know you would get it running as good as it possibly can and for the lowest price.

Wish you the best with it, get it running right and we would sure enjoy having you join us on our PA run later this summer

Rock on bro!
        Well, The bike runs fine wide open. Pulls like a beast!!!...but I was a bit scared to take that semi-bald tire on the highway. I stopped at a stoplight and while trying to keep the bike idling the rear locked up and was slipping and sliding all over the place. Using my old bmx drifting skills and keeping the bike running while also trying to stop was just a bit taxing on my skills hehe. Especially on that 500+ pound beast hehe. After that I figured I'd just take it to the local shop hehe.
        I hope to join you all this summer too!!

Dm of mD

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
          I would sugest that you lower the fuel level 1mm and try it again.
          DOH! I already took it to the shop. The floats are at 24mm. You suggest going to 25mm? That would have made there be more fuel in the bowl right? Or is that less fuel...I'm confused. It's all upside down and the allergy medicine is making me loopy...

Dm of mD

Comment

I dropped the bike off at the shop for "Fine tuning" and
            this is what they found:

Rectifier/Regulator = shot (not fixed yet)(replace with???)
            Carbs have been synched (done)
            Pilot circuit not responding (not fixed yet)
            tire changed (done)
            General Inspection (done)
            TOTAL so far: Only $278.00!!!! ;D

So does anyone have an idea of what I can replace the Stock REG/REC with besides the Electrex Model? No one I talk to has heard of a "Honda Superdream". Even the guys at the salvage yard. They do however have a stock one that works right for 50 bucks. I'm going to pick that one up tomorrow if I don't get a response on what other type I can use.

Now that I think of it....when the stator and REGulator went out on my vulcan750 it acted the same at stoplights with the drop in idle and rich fuel smell...I should have known.

Thanks gang,
            Dm of mD

PS I GOT MY RATBIKE.ORG STICKERS!!! WOOHOO!!!

Comment

I'd go for stock man. All you need is for ti to be good and your cookin again

Comment

Awesome, I'll pick up the stock one from the salvage yard tomorrow then.
                I"M GONNA BE BACK ON THE ROAD AGAIN WOHOOOOO!!!!
                Man, I can't contain myself!!!!
                That bike is just so frickin bloody awesome I don't know how to describe it. It weighs a ton but is so bloody nimble it's unbelievable unbelievable unbelievable!!!!

Dm of mD

Comment

DM,
                  So you decided against trying to tune those things yourself. How much was the balance and tune? I need to do it to my bike and I would rather learn to do it myself. What do you think? How much would jus tht etune have been for you, w/o the tire.
                  Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by Detman101
                    That bike is just so frickin bloody awesome I don't know how to describe it. It weighs a ton but is so bloody nimble it's unbelievable unbelievable unbelievable!!!!

Dm of mD
                    I feel you man

They are just great bikes, period.

Comment

Dm of mD
                      Try an 1150!!! that will blow your mind then.
                      Dink

Comment

Originally posted by whodatpat
                        DM,
                        So you decided against trying to tune those things yourself. How much was the balance and tune? I need to do it to my bike and I would rather learn to do it myself. What do you think? How much would jus tht etune have been for you, w/o the tire.
                        Patrick
                        The balance, synch and tune came up to 200 dollars here at Cycles USA on Georgia avenue in Silver Spring. They pretty much reset all of the settings on the carbs to what worked best and they checked the ignition and timing as well. Everything on the bike checked out barring the things I listed.
                        I'm sure you could do them yourself but my "work-done" money levels finally met in the middle and I went ahead and paid the fee to get done what I couldn't do.

Dm of mD

Comment

WOOHOO!!! It's ready.

Total bill = 380.00

Findings:
                          -Dead regulator (Replaced)
                          -Pilot Jets messed up. (could be my fault, maybe not)
                          -Main Jets WAY too large.

It turns out that the Dynojet set that I got off of ebay had a few incorrect parts in it....
                          Me and ebay are finished as far as anything electronic, precision or finely tuned items go.

But I'm just glad it's humming and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg.

Dm of mD

Comment

Originally posted by Dink

Dm of mD
                            Try an 1150!!! that will blow your mind then.
                            Dink
                            You shouldn't ride an 1150 unless you're ready to buy an 1150. Trust me.

Comment

The same goes for a hayabusa.....don`t ride one if you don`t want to own one.

Comment

Working...
                              X