dropping onto one cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dropping onto one cylinder

Have used this great site in the past and during the change over when frank posted a message on my behalf - thanks frank and thanks everyone for all the replies. I had CDI/Igniter problems: my bike was cutting out completely (no spark), and with alot of tips and a local expert on bike electricals, we worked out my CDI was history. They are INSANELY expensive new here in South Africa (USD250) so i picked up a 2nd hand one (still prettty pricey...) and problem seemed solved. Not so fast.... I have a new problem and wonder if it could still be CDI related, or maybe my coils:

My bike is dropping onto onto one cylinder (always lose the left cylinder), intermittently. When she is firing on both, I have checked spark (with a spare plug on the engine casing) and have strong spark both sides. As soon as she drops onto one, I have no spark on my left side. I can ride her for as much as 10/15 minutes on both, but as soon as i really open her up, the problem occurs and she fires on right cylinder only.

Everytime I thing she is finally 100%, I get nailed with a new problem - would really appreciate some help. Thanks alot.

Re: dropping onto one cylinder

Originally posted by Rizla
    Have used this great site in the past and during the change over when frank posted a message on my behalf - thanks frank and thanks everyone for all the replies. I had CDI/Igniter problems: my bike was cutting out completely (no spark), and with alot of tips and a local expert on bike electricals, we worked out my CDI was history. They are INSANELY expensive new here in South Africa (USD250) so i picked up a 2nd hand one (still prettty pricey...) and problem seemed solved. Not so fast.... I have a new problem and wonder if it could still be CDI related, or maybe my coils:

My bike is dropping onto onto one cylinder (always lose the left cylinder), intermittently. When she is firing on both, I have checked spark (with a spare plug on the engine casing) and have strong spark both sides. As soon as she drops onto one, I have no spark on my left side. I can ride her for as much as 10/15 minutes on both, but as soon as i really open her up, the problem occurs and she fires on right cylinder only.

Everytime I thing she is finally 100%, I get nailed with a new problem - would really appreciate some help. Thanks alot.
    SEE IF YOUR COILS ARE LOSE AND HAVE SLIPPED TOO CLOSE TO THE FRAME ALLOWING SPARK TO JUMP TO GROUND AT THE WRONG SPOT ALSO MAYBE YOU HAVE GRUNGY WIRES THAT LEAK AND SHORT OUT---WELL ITS JUST A GUESS

Comment

ok will give it a shot - thanks for the quickfire response!!!!

Comment

coils

Could be one of the coils overheating under load and going u/s, they tend to get warm and if its got a break in either of its windings, when it expands the continuity can be broken, only to reconduct when the copper cools again and shrinks..
        Any chance of swapping it out to eliminate it.? Or try swapping the coils over and see if you loose the right one next time. Ditto with plugs, caps etc.
        Also to look at after the coil is the pickups, theres two in there one for the right and one for the left coil. The trigger voltage is really small, but if your electronics minded friend has access to a scope you can scope the outputs to make sure theyre the same both cylinders..
        If your loosing one side it could be something to do with that, other than that its wiring or the igniter to check next im afraid.

Comment

Re: coils

If you swap the coils with plug wires and the problem moves to the other cylinder, then its the coil breaking down, if the problem stays on the same cylinder, its the ignition module.

Earl

Originally posted by MrFluffy
          Could be one of the coils overheating under load and going u/s, they tend to get warm and if its got a break in either of its windings, when it expands the continuity can be broken, only to reconduct when the copper cools again and shrinks..
          Any chance of swapping it out to eliminate it.? Or try swapping the coils over and see if you loose the right one next time. Ditto with plugs, caps etc.
          Also to look at after the coil is the pickups, theres two in there one for the right and one for the left coil. The trigger voltage is really small, but if your electronics minded friend has access to a scope you can scope the outputs to make sure theyre the same both cylinders..
          If your loosing one side it could be something to do with that, other than that its wiring or the igniter to check next im afraid.
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

thanks mr fluffy, earlfor - I will give it a shot this weekend and let you know if i am successful. I hope like hell that the coils or the pick up are the problem, cause if its the igniter, than its the end of the road..... unless I win the lottery!!! Cheers.

Comment

igniter

I dont remember how much I paid for my igniter, but it wasnt more than ?40 Uk pounds (about $60 US i think). last time I needed one there was millions of dead gsx250's in the breakers here so the prices were low....
              maybe if you went to :-

it would possibly work out lots cheaper than buying it over there, especially if it IS the same one as the gsx250, I cant see them using a different one just for that model. Doesnt cost to just post the query...
              I do the same for gpz turbo parts, mention turbo and the price doubles, but most the non engine parts are the same as the cooking gpz750. Hence, Id like a igniter for a gpz750 please ......

Comment

I used to have a GS450 and it had points and condensors, so if worse comes to worse and you cant find an electronic replacement (if it comes to that) you can always change over to points. The points were simple, easy to maintain and never gave me a problem.

Earl

Originally posted by Rizla
                thanks mr fluffy, earlfor - I will give it a shot this weekend and let you know if i am successful. I hope like hell that the coils or the pick up are the problem, cause if its the igniter, than its the end of the road..... unless I win the lottery!!! Cheers.
                Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
                X