GS-450 carbs: Which model Mikuni carb, and which needle jet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS-450 carbs: Which model Mikuni carb, and which needle jet

Well, since I was cleaning the carbs for the 850 I bought, I thought I'd clean the 450's carbs too...

Problem is, the needle jets on the 450 are mounted differently, don't take well to the dowel method (too small), and didn't survive removal in very good shape...

So, I need new needle jets.

I can't find a Keyster or similar carb kit for the 450, and BikeBandit/RonAyers both report the needle jet as discontinued (Main & pilot jets I can get, needle -> no way)...

So, which carb is it, and which needle jet (Mikuni p/n) do I need?

year for the 450? and take a look at the busted up needle jet there should see some number and/or letter stamped on it. what are those?

-ryan
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

I have the same problem that you did. I can't get the needle jets out of either of my bowls. I've got a thread somewhere titled carb cleanup questions. I tried spray carb cleaner, then dipped them for an hour, sprayed 'em again, and still can't get them out. How did you finally get yours out? Does anybody have any other suggestions on freeing them?

Anyway... I think the FSM says the carbs are BS34. I can double check that when I get home.

What year is your 450? Mine's a 1982

-Steve

Comment

It's a 1982 GS450TX. Needle jet is unmarked.

I got mine out via the 'Mugilla Gorilla' method: there's a notch in the threads that the main jet screws in to, which gives you access to the rim of the needle jet. Insert small screwdriver, grab hammer, pound untill it pops free.

Prior to that I tried vice-grips (obliterating any markings that may have been on the part that sticks out of the float bowl, where the O-ring goes) & drenching with carb cleaner...

I know it's a Y-6 jet size, and you say they're BS34 carbs...

Any more info would be apreciated...

Comment

450 has 32 mm carbs, sorry no manual or I would look up the needle jet ...

Seems this is not correct, please ignore the above but I could have sworn...mumble mumble

Comment

I beg to differ, my -81 GS450ex has got BS34ss carbs (34mm, stock!). Ser.nr. differs between diffrent 450 models, mine are 44110 and uses the Y-6 needle jet, and 117.5 mikuni mains. Haynes manual covers the varietys to some extent.

Comment

Originally posted by blo
              I beg to differ, my -81 GS450ex has got BS34ss carbs (34mm, stock!). Ser.nr. differs between diffrent 450 models, mine are 44110 and uses the Y-6 needle jet, and 117.5 mikuni mains. Haynes manual covers the varietys to some extent.
              The carbs changed in 1983 to the 'standard' GS carb style, with the needle jet in the caeb body and a pull-chain choke instead of the lever on the side. Prior to that, the needle jet goes in the float bowl.

All years are supposed to have some version of BS34SS 34mm carbs, and AFIK 'BS' stands for 'OEM' in Mikumi-carb-speak.

Comment

Originally posted by lustreking
                I have the same problem that you did. I can't get the needle jets out of either of my bowls. I've got a thread somewhere titled carb cleanup questions. I tried spray carb cleaner, then dipped them for an hour, sprayed 'em again, and still can't get them out. How did you finally get yours out? Does anybody have any other suggestions on freeing them?

Anyway... I think the FSM says the carbs are BS34. I can double check that when I get home.

What year is your 450? Mine's a 1982

-Steve
                Please check your manual and provide any info you may have....

Thanks,
                Dave

Comment

Yes, my manual says BS34ss

Comment

Does anyone have ANY MORE INFO on where to get needle jets for an 82 GS-450???

Please???

Comment

Working...
                    X