Advice on installing a replament starter on an '82 GS850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on installing a replament starter on an '82 GS850G

The starter died on my '82 GS850G (for the second time). I had a mechanic rebuild and reinstall the last starter. This time, I ordered a rebuilt 4-brush unit that should arrive any day now.

I have never replaced a starter before. Can someone tell me if replacing the starter on my model is as simple as (I hope) removing the left side cover from the engine, unhooking the wiring, and removing a couple of bolts?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Caleb

I'm not even sure if you need to take the left cover off. I think you have to take the carbs off, there's a cover under there, pop off the 2 bolts, and undo the wires. Then just slide it out, and reverse the process to put it in. I'm a little fuzzy on the exact steps, but I think that's it.

Comment

Luke is very close but there should be at least two bolts that you have to pull out after you have pulled the starter motor cover. These bolts secure the back end of the starter motor to the engine case. You may not have to pull the carbs...I don't, but I have a set of aftermarket carbs so I may have a little more clearance.

Hap

Comment

I had two consecutive 1982 GS850's back in the late 80's and early 90's. Had to replace the starter and used a two-brush starter from the earlier 850s; they're perfectly interchangeable, the two-brush and the four-brush. The two-brush starter is more durable, in my experience.

All you do is remove the cover, held by two small bolts, that is located just to the left rear of the cylinder bank. Then get a ratchet wrench with an extension, and a 10-mm socket at the end of it. Reach down blindly and remove the two bolts that hold the starter to the engine case. It's awkward, but doable. Disconnect the wire from the starter and carefully twist it out of the hole.

No need to remove the carbs. It does take thin hands and some patience.

Nick

Comment

Gentlemen,

Thank you very, very much. All of that information is extremely helpful. I am glad I asked. I will prep for minor surgery this weekend. I really appreciate the quick, useful responses.

Caleb

Comment

Working...
          X