Another GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another GS?

Hey guys, looking in the BuyerFlyer and came across two GS's, so I'd like some advice if possible.

First - 1979 GS850 $1000
    The guy says it has one new tire and one that should be replaced. Had a "motor job" done about 1700kms ago and since then has been leaking oil, supposedly out of the crankcase breather I believe. The bike ran last fall and he hasn't started it up yet this year. I'll of course have to go have a look at it before any decisions are made. Anyways, any thoughts on that leak? Or what one of these is worth? It should run, and if that's it then it's just that leak and a new tire, not too bad I'd say.

The other was "1991 GS650" $1200
    I assume it's an 81 not a 91 but it doesn't say the letter after the 650. What models were there? Shaft and chain? Anything to look for in the bike? I never got ahold of the seller, but I'll try again tomorrow, again, what's a good price, we'll assume it is an 81.
    Thanks all,

Anyone?

Comment

Hey Barry, Suzuki didn't sell a 1991 650 in the US, except for an enduro type bike....I suppose they may have in Canada but I doubt it.

Assuming it's a 1981 and based on the information provided...I wouldn't buy either one of them. Bikes are like boats....if you're patient, you can usually find a really good deal. Good luck!
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Chucky, you think that's too much for either of those bikes? What would be reasonable? Thanks,

Comment

Don't know

Well, I don't know...so much depends upon the mileage, the paint, any known problems and...how much you want it. I think a fair price for the '81 650 would be about $1000 if it looks good to you. The '79 850 should go for about the same if it looks pretty good.

I'd just hate to see you buy a bike and have regrets based on either existing problems that you didn't know about or expenses that you hadn't planned for. Tires are a fairly big issue on these bikes because even if they're not worn out, they may be old and unsafe...they're also expensive. A worn out chain will set you back, too...other maintenance-type things, as well.

I've bought quite a few used bikes and have always felt like I've gotten a great deal..I've never regretted buying a single one of them but...I've shopped pretty hard and I truly feel I've been lucky.

By the way, Barry, I was talking about U.S. prices (funds).

My advice would be if you don't feel really comfortable with it...take a pass and keep looking. Good deals come along pretty often and I think you'll know it when you see it. I wish you good luck!
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

For the 850 I would only offer $500 at most unless you can find out about the oil leak You may have to spend $ 500 having an oil leak fixed. Deciding factor would be your mechanical abilities

Comment

Working...
            X