brake pulsing on GS650G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake pulsing on GS650G

I accidentally got WD-40 onto the front rotors and now I have an area on the rotors that the pads slip on, causing a pulse. I tried to clean the rotors with Brake Cleaners but no luck. I need to do a brake job up front anyway so new pads are in order.

Can the rotors be cleaned or refinished? Are motorcycle rotors turned for brake jobs or are pads just replaced? Would ceramic pads help?
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

I've found automotive shops reluctant to work on bike rotors. Local machile shops have been very helpful in resurfacing the rotors for me.

Comment

Why do you think that the rotors need to be turned? Were the brakes pulsing before you got the WD on them? Have you checked the runout on the rotors?

I'd take the wheel of the bike, give the rotors another thorough cleaning, taking care to wash off any residue that might be in the rotor slots, and change the pads.

Jeff

Comment

Try scuffing the pads and rotor GENTLY with some fine steel wool.

Does it look like it "burned" on the rotor? Or a blueish color where the WD40 hit it?
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Ther appears to be an area on the rotor that catches the pad, a film keeps building up, almost like a glazing. I ordered pads from the internet ( damned shops want so much a pair that leaves us no choice) and I will try buffing the rotors a bit to clean them up.

thanks all for some great tips
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
          X