HOT COILS on GS1000E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOT COILS on GS1000E

I have had this GS 1000 for a month now, sorted the brakes, clutch, lack of spark and chain and all the other stuff that just keeps mounting up, but now I am at a loss.

I live in tropical Panama, and it gets real hot, as you can imagine. But I have been prepared, bought a lid with lots of vents, (still looking for suitable jacket in my price range..Sssshhh!) but my problem is this.

When riding, and believe me I am happy to say that I kane the nuts off the thing at every chance I get, no worries.. flawless. However, back into the city with 40+ heat and traffic jams and lights and crashes and....

The bike dies. I know what is wrong, the coils, sensibly mounted directly above the hot motor and under the hot petrol tank get soo hot that they stop working. I mean too hot to touch with naked hands. Take em off, and cool them in the airconditioned petrol station for about 20mins, whiz em back on and off I go. (I had current and signal from both contact breakers up to the coils..)

MY question is, how do you relocate/cool these little buggers in city riding? I have a couple of extra coils, but really dont want to be carting crap around, and have you seen the boot on one of these?? Big enough for a marathon bar, a couple of dollars to bribe the traffic pigs and a crushed condom..

CJ

it gets real hot here inTexas and I have overheated my bike but not lost spark, your coils may be going out.
    try using the extra coils you have and see if they do better.
    in the severe tropical heat is is best to avoid long periods of sitting in traffic with a air cooled bike idling.

Comment

At the time when the coils are hot, have you actually checked the spark?
      Is it possible that something else on the bike (that's actually causing the problem) is cooling down while you cool the coils? Have you gone through all the connectors and checked the plug leads/caps? Have you tested the reg/rec and battery for correct operation?
      Are your mixture screws set correctly? Have you tried turning them in a little (leaner) to see if that helps? Are your carbs synched and are they clean inside? Have you tried running a cooler sparkplug?
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
        At the time when the coils are hot, have you actually checked the spark?
        Is it possible that something else on the bike (that's actually causing the problem) is cooling down while you cool the coils? Have you gone through all the connectors and checked the plug leads/caps? Have you tested the reg/rec and battery for correct operation?
        Are your mixture screws set correctly? Have you tried turning them in a little (leaner) to see if that helps? Are your carbs synched and are they clean inside? Have you tried running a cooler sparkplug?
        When the motor died I went into the petrol station, and yes, I had current and signal going to the coils, so I have to assume the coils were bad (I put another coil (from a car onto one pairing, and sure enough a nice big spark - so the problem was with the coils. (I fix cars for a living and know that 9 times out of 10 the problem is not with the coil itself, then again I have never had a coil that hot..plus the both at the same time thing points, as you rightly said, to another issue.)

Yes the motor runs a little rich, but I like to err on the side of caution with high rpm engines. Today I put in 150km's of only city riding, going to the bank and doing errands and stuff, no repeat problem, so I am hoping it is a one off... Going to retard the ignition a degree too...

CJ

PS. What do you people ride in? It is for sure too hot for leather, too hot for jeans and denim jacket, though I do out of respect for my bashed up body. Most people here ride in shorts and t-shirt, some in flip flops!!! Any ideas for some body protection that would keep me cool (airconditioned suit anyone?)

Comment

When I lived in Southern California it would sometimes get up to 120 in the desert. Some guys I road with had these Dainese mesh coats that contained body armor panels. Or you could look into dirt bike clothing.

Comment

Originally posted by GeeSeBeater
            When I lived in Southern California it would sometimes get up to 120 in the desert. Some guys I road with had these Dainese mesh coats that contained body armor panels. Or you could look into dirt bike clothing.
            I will start looking in earnest today! Dirt bike stuff may work, as we have a lot of that here and quad bikes.. needs to be black though. Too old for all these techicolour things

Comment

Working...
            X