Weird Problem - Running Poorly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird Problem - Running Poorly

My '84 GS1150 is running poorly, i.e. underpowered (bogging down) and stalling at idle. This started happening a day or two after the following weird incident:
    Ran low on gas, swithced to reserve. After work, fuelled up, forgot to take gas petcock off 'reserve.' Next day very hot, got home from work after a hot drive in traffic, parked the bike on sidestand in open garage. Later on that evening, all of a sudden, a LOT of gas running out of the overflow tube which comes out from the bottom center of the carb air box: put the bike on centrestand and mopped it up, eventually stopped. Next day or the day after, the bike starts bogging down, missing power and stalls at idle, and just got worse.

So are the two related, or just weird coincidence? I have had the fuel petcock out of the tank and it is clean, airbox is clean aas is the filter. The only thing is the plugs seem to be rather carboned up.

What can I do?
    Thanks - Ed
    p.s. has anyone had their fule leak out like that?! Weird...

Weierd problem running poorly

I feel your pain... I dread the day I have to diagnose why some days my bike leaks feul and is really poorly performing till it gets "cleaned out" as I call it ie:7000rpm in each gear. Then it seems to be alright. As for the pet-c**k I know that the vacuum "assisted" area is problematic. I run my bike an 81 850G on reserve constantly I know this is improper but I think my problem lies in 2nd carb in's float bowl. (easily mistaken for where the drain tube comes out. I wasn't much help sorry, I guess just "support"...

Comment

as you stated you ran low on fuel and I would supect that you picked up some junk from the bottom of the fuel tank. Try draining and refilling the carbs a few times if that doesn't work you may have to take the carbs apart and clean them It also sounds like you should also check/change the oil it may have gas in it

Comment

Before you ride too much, be sure and check your oil level. If it has increased, you may have fuel in your crankcase and if tooooo full will cause a condition known as hydraulic lock which can result in bent and/or broken internal engine parts.

Comment

I would suggest that you buy new spark plugs !
          The plugs are such a vital part of the engine, though they are small, they can make huge problems !

They ain`t expensive, so I would definetely advise you to fit your bike with new plugs. Draining the carbs a few times combined with new plugs will probably solve the problem. If not, remove the carbs and clean them. If there is dirt in the float chamber , then maybe you should install a gas filter ! If there is water, put some "condense remover" in your gas.

After you have had the carbs off, you are suppost to use the primary positon on your petcock, to make the gas reach the carbs without starting it. (gas only flows (are suppost) to the carbs when the engine is running).

Btw. be sure too check that your vaccum line is properly connected, on/off is the same as day and night, if you see what I mean.

Good luck.

Comment

I would also install an inline fuel filter if you have not already....Sounds like you may have picked up some trash out of the bottom of the tank

Comment

definitely whip your carbs off - your float bulbs may sticking or you may just have alot of gunk in the bowls.

I had also had a problem in my petcock where the vacumn/diaphragm mechanism was broken, and was suffocating flow of petrol to my carbs,so i removed it completey and now operate my fuel tap manually everytime i get on and off my bike. anoying yes, but its routine now and i have no probs.

Comment

Before you change ANYTHING, please do yourself a favor and put a .99 cent bottle of HEAT or Dry Gas in the gas tank. Sometimes when you run low (below 1/2 tank) condensation forms on the tank from heating up and cooling off. When you fill up, the condensation washes into the tank, sinks to the bottom and makes the engine run like ass. If you try this and that's your problem it'll take about 5 minutes to correct the problem. \

Tim

Comment

I would also suggest you check your caps (spark plug wires). I've had the resistors change values over age and play havoc with my system. Its a pretty cheap fix too.

Comment

Working...
                  X