Brake rotors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake rotors

This may seem like a silly question but I've noticed that the front dics on my bike have micro-grooves in them (which I can barely feel) and the back disc, while looking micro-grooved..is quite smooth....what's going on and what should I do? Is this something that should be buffed off?

I'm the second owner and I changed the back pads when I bought it. I'm pretty sure, based on the mileage (very low) that the front pads are original (and they're not worn out).

Thanks to all my knowledgeable, good buddies!
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Don't Worry

If they are small enough not to affect braking performance or ride, I would not mess with it. If you want to drop some cash buy a new rotor and pads.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks, KrazyKarl....that's REALLY helpful! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Comment

I'll say the same thing as Karl but add that you shouldn't worry until you can feel your brake leaver pulsing. Grooves are fine, warpage and heat cracks aren't. Although I've never seen heat cracks on anything other than heavy truck drums and the odd heavy duty disc.

Steve

Comment

Grooving as you describe is no problem. If you ever notice deeper grooving, especially a thin wear ring, always check your pads for something inbedded.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Thanks

Thanks! I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something out of the ordinary. The brakes work great and I'm sure haven't been abused so I was curious how the grooves got there in the first place. By the way, they are very uniform and almost smooth...

Comment

Working...
            X