Misfiring cylinder GS650L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Misfiring cylinder GS650L

Continueing to work on my newly aquired GS650L i noticed that one of the cyclinders in misfiring. As your sitting on the bike, it's the second on the left. I figured that it is missfiring because after running the bike for 15-20 minutes, all of the exaust headers were hot to the touch, except for the one, wich was barely warm.

Any sugestions?

Remove the spark plug and check to see if you have spark. If the spark is good I would check the carb. Also the #2 carb has a vaccum fitting for the fuel valve which can cause it to run very rich if the fuel valve is leaking. Pull the line and see if there is any sign of fuel in the vacuum line. Try pluging the vacuum line and running it on the prime position to see if it runs any better. May just be bad fuel valve

Comment

Fouled plugs

Well, I did as you sugested, and removed the plugs, all dirty as sin. The #2 plug was wet though. Does this mean that there is too much fuel comming in?
      I also have no clue as to wether or not the choke is all the way open, or closed. There is a lever, but no indicator of any kind. The bike will only run when the lever is pushed all the way forward. What does that mean?

Comment

Re: Fouled plugs

Originally posted by grandebob
        Well, I did as you sugested, and removed the plugs, all dirty as sin. The #2 plug was wet though. Does this mean that there is too much fuel comming in?
        I also have no clue as to wether or not the choke is all the way open, or closed. There is a lever, but no indicator of any kind. The bike will only run when the lever is pushed all the way forward. What does that mean?
        I believe that you may have missed the squaredancers suggestion about the vacume line--do it and ill just bet you find fuel in it--it is not a fuel line just a vacume line--there should be 2 lines going to your petcock-one is the larger fuel line and the other is the smaller vacume line going to the number 2 carb-- re read the dancers reply and follow the recomendation--please let us all know what you find providing your bike has a vacume operated petcock

Comment

yup

There was definatly some fuel in the vacuum hose. At first, i thought i pulled the wrong hose.

But the thick hose from the petcock to the #2 carb had plenty of fluid in it. Does this mean I need a new fuel valve? If so, where do I get one, and more importantly, how do i put it in?

Thanks

Comment

Re wet plug #2 cyl clarification On the intake side of the #2 carb there will be a vacuum line that runs to the fuel valve to operate the vacuum operated valve. When this valve leaks it will suck fuel thru the vacuum line and flood the #2 cyl. Plug the vacuum line and operate the fuel valve on the prime position to see if that fixes your problem. if it does you need to repair or replace fuel valve

Comment

Ooops...

there is 2 lines going to the petcock. the smaller one (also wrapped in a spring) had no fluid in it. It did kind of smell of gas, but then again, the whole bike does. So what does it mean if there is no gas in the vacuum line?

Thanks again for your help... i need to start reading these posts 2 or 3 times i guess

Comment

Re: yup

Originally posted by grandebob
                There was definatly some fuel in the vacuum hose. At first, i thought i pulled the wrong hose.

But the thick hose from the petcock to the #2 carb had plenty of fluid in it. Does this mean I need a new fuel valve? If so, where do I get one, and more importantly, how do i put it in?

Thanks
                I dont have the same model of bike that you have so I am abit confused--are you saying that in adition to the fuel line that goes from the petcock to the tank thatyou have 2 lines going from the petcock to the number s2 carb??? you mentioned (((But the thick hose from the petcock to the #2 carb had plenty of fluid in it. Does this mean I need a new fuel valve? If so, where do I get one, and more importantly, how do i put it in?

))
                lets first get it clear and you will get more help than you need from many people

Comment

Clearify

Ok, there are two lines that come out of the petcock, A thicker one, that vanishes behind the carbs some where. This line does have gas in it, so i am assuming it is a fuel line.

The second, is a thinner line, that goes into the #2 carb. This line also has a spring around it, that covers most of the line. I'm not sure why. There is no fluid in this line at all.

Sorry for the confusion, if I could ever find my digital camera, I would take pictures.

Comment

Seems to be working

Well, I checked the sprakplugs and changed them out, checked the vacuum line, and such. After I hooked everything back up, it seems to be running good. I'll start a new thread for my next problem... Thanks guys!

Comment

O.K. let me explain what the suzuki dealer told me when you undo the fuel line from the gas tank does gas flow?... if so then your petcock is bad if not your fuel valve is bad the fuel valve can be cleaned. fuel is supposed to be vacuum fed not gravity fed
                      Rat

Comment

Clarification

Rat,

When I disconected the fuel line from the petcock, gas only came out of the fuel line, not out of the petcock. The vacuum line on my bike seems to be working fine. Thanks to Dancer for telling me how to check that, and thanks to Scotty for telling me to re-read Dancer's post.

Comment

Working...
                        X