engine noise ,ideas ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine noise ,ideas ?

I just put in new big end bearings , the head was done about 3 months ago and was fine before I took it off cam chain is in allowable tolerences,checked the adjuster that's fine .Problem is now Iv'e put it back together and started it it sounds like there's a handful of spanners in the top ,specifically the noise sounds like it's coming from the bore or head ,it's also popping at idle .Could this be caused by timing being out ? It's got k&n filters and a 4into1 exhaust on it which were on it before this problem . The noise stays all through the rev range though I haven't ridden it much due to the noise but the popping goes away when you rev it. The engine is an 83 GS650G anyone help?????

is your poping a metal to metal sound or like its backfiring?

Comment

There was another guy here who had that problem and it was because he had the cam chain jammed between the pressure plate and the tunnel or something. He wasn't able to tell until he took the top end off and then he found that he needed a new pressure plate.

Steve

Comment

the popping sounds like it's backfiring.
        If the cam chain was jammed the motor wouldn't run would it?

Comment

Cam timing is correct? Are the cam caps all torqued down ?the head studs? just some thoughts.
          Dink

Comment

Working...
          X