Whirring / grinding engine noise '82 GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whirring / grinding engine noise '82 GS1100E

My '82 GS1100E has this this pronounced whirring / grinding noise when the bike is running. Its directly related to engine rpm, whether or not in any gear, cluth engaged or dis-engaged, moving or not. Bike starts and runs fine other than that.

The sound was intermittent at first but is now constant and at a more pronounced volume. I'm not riding the bike as I don't want to fry it if it something serious.

Bike has almost 38,000 miles, I am 2nd owner since May 2000, purchased from original owner with 21,000 miles. Has V&N header, stage 3 jet kit, and V&N air pods, all came on the bike from original owner.

Bike has been very reliable entire time. Have been religious with oil changes and monitoring oil levels. I am not a hard rider but do like to accelerate it from time to time, but without being real hard on things such as dumping the clutch.

Very difficult to pinpoint the sound with a mechanic stethiscope. It is manifested all over the engine. I thought it was the loudest at the clutch so took the clutch completely off, ran engine (for just a few seconds as oil pump not being driven), and the sound was still there.

So if I'm thinking right, this noise has to be in the front of the engine? The possibilities I imagine could be valve train, cam chain, cam journals, crank bearings, the cam chain rubbing on something . . . ??

It is due for a valve adjustment, but in my admittedly limited experience, it does not sound like valves. Since it is a no cost thing to do, and its needs doing anyway that's the next thing to isolate.

A few months someone on this forum suggested it might be the starter that wan't disengaging, but others thought that since the ratio of starter to drive gear was 7:1, that at speed the rpms of the starter would be so high it would have burned up or seized long ago.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

whirring noise

hi mate.
    i have the same whirring noise (but not a grinding noise) on my 1978 gs 1000e. i have tried all sorts of things to find were it is coming from but im still at a loss.
    the bike starts and rides perfect, its just this damn noise.
    if you have any luck sorting it please mail me and tell me.
    davep (uk)

Comment

Would it be possible you have a cam chain slide worn completely into the metal??How about a cam journal messed up? I have seen rockers worn out occasionately. Circlip out of piston and you are hearing pin rubbing cylinder? Skirt broke off piston? Tooth off crankshaft? Rod bearing out or main? Hey I`m just throwing some stuff out there for ya. Good luck! Let us know when you find out what it is.

Comment

It is probably the cam chain tensioner. The automatic tensioner can get gummed up and stick or it can also develop scarring on the ramps, and either of these will keep it from proper tension. Also, some people would replace the automatic tensioner with a manual unit if they were going to seriously rev the motor. Look in the Tips and Tricks forum for a "valve cladder" thread. There was a lot of information exchanged there.

Comment

had a good listen all around the bike today, it sounds like the noise is coming from the clutch.

Comment

If you decide to service the can chain tensioner here's how.

With the tensioner removed from the cylinder block loosen the lock nut on the left side of the tensioner and back the slotted bolt out ? turn. Turn the knob on the right side of the tensioner, which in the Suzuki service manual is called a lock shaft handle, counterclock-wise. As you are turning the knob counterclock-wise push the pushrod all the way back. Keep turning the knob until it refuses to turn any further.

With the pushrod still pushed in as far as it will go tighten the slotted bolt so that the pushrod will not plunge out.

Remount the tensioner to the cylinder block. If the tensioner is not going in turn the crankshaft clockwise slowly to get slack in the cam chain on the intake side of the block.

Loosen the slotted bolt ? turn allowing the pushrod to advance towards the cam chain. Tighten the lock nut but leave the slotted bolt loose by that ? turn.

While turning the knob counterclock-wise, slowly rotate the crankshaft in reverse direction, counterclock-wise. This causes the chain to push the pushrod back.

Release the knob and slowly turn the crankshaft in the normal direction, clockwise. You should see the knob rotate as the chain becomes progressively slackened. If it does the pushrod is obviously moving forward under spring pressure signifying the tensioner is in good operable condition. If it moves sluggishly or not at all that means the pushrod or the slotted bolt is sticking. If so remove the tensioner from the block again and inspect the pushrod. It could need cleaning or could be bent or galled. Further crank rotation will take the slack out of the cam chain.

Comment

I've got the same noise coming from my clutch. I know it's the clutch cause it only comes on when I let the clutch handle out.
              It's like its the sound of the plates working on each other or something.
              Kinda sounds like a turbo spinning up at low speeds in first gear.
              It's kinda kewl but not as loud as the bloody shifter clunking when I shift heh...

Dm of mD

Comment

i took my clutch apart today.
                every thing looks fine.
                i ran the engine for about 2 seconds without the clutch basket and there was no noise.
                could my noise be coming from my oil pump as this seems to be opperating fine???

Comment

davep, Your situation is different than mine, as when I had my clutch out like you did and ran it for a few seconds, my noise was still there.

Try a search on 'oil pump', maybe something will help you. I'm no expert but I'ld bet it was your clutch, which would be the easiest to fix out of all the possibilities.

Search on "clutch" and "Noise" as I remember reading about noise like you describe originating clutches, sometimes only because the main center nut had backed off and was not at proper torque.

I'll send you a private message containing an email that I received from another GS'er about that.

Comment

You might listen to the left side of the engine.

A loose stator bolt will make such a noise as it grinds against the rotor.

It should sound more like a clattering and grinding noise, as the bolt moves back and forth.

There is also an L-shaped piece of metal in the stator case to hold the cable in place. If the retaining bolt is loose, that could make the same noise.

For listening....take a piece of 1/2 inch or larger dowel...poke one end on the engine and the other against your ear. You can also use a long-blade screwdriver....hold the handle against your ear.

Both act like a stethoscope to isolate and identify sound sources.
                    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Thanks argonsagas, I will check it out. Your description of the sound is what I have. It came and went at first, now it is constant. Thankfully, its a pretty easy thing to check opposed to breaking down the engine to check out valve train, pistons and crank.

I have used a stethescope but the sound was manifested everywhere on the engine, although it did seem to be more towards the rear but equally on both sides, so I started with the clutch.

Was it hard to pinpoint in your case?

Comment

Working...
                      X