Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK..

1980 GS750E

OK.. I took the advice of someone, I cannot remember who it was and I apologize, this was over a year ago and I finally decided to try it. I replaced the spark plugs with new ones and started then immediately went for a fifty mile round trip, I shut off the ignition and coasted into my driveway whereupon I checked each plug, they were perfect tan in color ( this is where I will tell you that I tried to start her in the morning and she would not start, I changed plugs and bingo..off we went... I think they were fouled?)....You have to realize that I have been the one with carboned up plugs for eternity and all the sudden they looked great. SOOOO...... I decided to take her on a drive around town with several stops at intersections and what not and then returned home, I checked the plugs and they were all black and sooty just like they have been since my card rebuild over a year ago and after this stop and go driving.

What does this tell you guys, what should I be looking at??? It seems that all plugs carbon up when I let her idle for any amount of time and then they never go to tan again??.

](*,)

Scud

idle mixture setting is to rich , may even need to go as far as re-jetting the idle circuit
    Dink

Comment

Thanks Dink, How does one go about leaning out the idle circuit, do you turn the screw on the engine side under the aluminum caps (that have been removed already) out or in to lean...I should know this by now...

Scud

Comment

The screw goes in to lean. Try 1/4 turn increments, clean the plugs, let it idle for 30 seconds (NO REVVING) and then reread the plugs. Continue with the 1/4 turn increments until it keeps the plugs clean and sounds good and smooth.

Comment

Should I turn them all the way in and start with 1/4 turn from bottom?

Scud

Comment

no turn them in 1/4 from where you are currently

Comment

Thank you, I'll start with 1/4 in from where I am now.

Scud

Comment

Well, I started at 1/4 turn from the BOTTOM on the mixture screw and ran her for 1 minute, checked the plugs and they were perfect.... I can still start her without choke and she starts right up and holds an idle with only 1/4 turn out from being seated, does this sound alright or is there some undrlying problem I still need to address???

Scud

Comment

while it`s good that you got a good reading it is usually around 2-3 turns out where a good reading would be produced .are you sure your choke circuit is closed all the way ? not just on the bars but on the carbs as well .just an idea.Mark

P.S. not that a good reading cant be produced with your settings .it just sounded kind of tight to me, thats all

Comment

I'll check, I remember when I replaced the o-rings on the choke when tightening I could see the o-ring 'smooshing' out around the nut and stoping before it got real tight for fear of loosing the seal around the nut due to smashing the o-ring to much.

Should I just tighten the choke assembly all the way and not care about how much I compress the o-ring? Does this any make sense.

I find it strange also that I can start her without any choke whatsoever..

Scud

Comment

Working...
                    X