1983 1100E engine black coating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 1100E engine black coating

I've got a 1983 GS1100E that is going to be rebuilt.
    My question is what is the black coating (paint?) that
    came on it (cylinder block, head, cases) and what is the
    best way to strip and replace it. Is there a better process
    to use? Should each piece be re-done individually or the
    entire engine recoated all at once after reassembly.
    Thanks for any tips.

for best results I would do each piece separately, however I've also seen some done as a complete unit that looked good as well.

basically its going to be you choice in the end, Happy Painting

Comment

Black Head

I have an "83 GS1100GL that has a black head. Just wanted to say that not only does a black head look cool, but it makes the head cool faster so the engine rarely overheats. Mine came with the cooling fins painted gold, which really gives the engine definintion and looks more 3d than 2d.

Comment

My bike has a black engine:

Orginally it was silver. The best way to do it is to completely disassemble the engine, blast the parts that you want to paint with walnut shells (if available) or "sugar sand" (the small particle sandblast). Clean all pieces completely, chase all the threads, blow out all the passages with high velocity air, use a bottle brush, pipe cleaners, and q-tips after you blow everything - the cleaning process should take at least 8 hours to do a good job.

Paint the parts as soon as possible after cleaning...don't wait until the next day or the next weekend. Oxidation starts quickly. I used PJ-1 Gloss Black engine paint on everything but they have semi-gloss and flat black available.

Hap

Comment

If you really think about it ,yes the black paint absorbs the heat generated by the motor, conversly painting it white reflects the heat back toward the source. Think of it in aspects of light which is slightly above infrared on the wave spectrum....possibly if it was polished to a perfect mirror finish....could it not fail to dissapate heat altogether? Such is the strange thing of physics. That is why car headers are painted white & wrapped in insulation to retain heat.
          Rick.......

Comment

Use the PJ1 engine paint. It lasts and looks good for a long time.

Comment

Working...
            X