Replacing stripped phillips screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing stripped phillips screws

I have been working on my bike for a month now and have done considerable damage to every phillips screw from the ones on the clutch cover to the ones on the carbs.
    Has anyone found a good replacement for these in an allen or other replacement?

Thanks

I think the concensus is to go with an allen head. I have not done so myself(yet) but when I'm working on those aging phillips I take the head off my impact driver, put it on my socket wrench, with an extension, get the best fitting driver bit and use that with plenty of force going into the screw through the extension and less force turning the screw itself. Just make sure that bit doesn't jump and lead to more and more stripping. You can check eBay for a screw set, or go to an auto parts store and replace all of them a few at a time, but while you're working and have them out, replace them if you can and while you can. Best of luck.

Comment

Check this guy out, he might have a bolt kit, check all the listings and email him if you can't find one.

Comment

Even better:

I would wait until one of the pros here verifies that that could be what you want. You're lucky that there's two in the store or I'd buy that one and leave you with nothing :twisted: I guess Suzuki didn't change the bolts in the models, makes sense. I'll wait 'til someone here says that would do it, then I'll buy the other one. I've got case guards on their way here from the seller, so I might wait until they arrive as well, just to see what shipping is like, who knows? Best of luck,

Comment

I just found this at the dennis kirk site
          Nice but not sure about them being aluminum

Comment

Re: Replacing stripped phillips screws

Go to http://www.newmotorcycleparts.com/interest.htm
            They have allen head replacement bolt kits for all the GS models.
            I have them on both my bikes as I hate stripped phillips screws also. :-)
            Not expensive at all. :-)

earl

Originally posted by Qwagmyre
            I have been working on my bike for a month now and have done considerable damage to every phillips screw from the ones on the clutch cover to the ones on the carbs.
            Has anyone found a good replacement for these in an allen or other replacement?

Thanks
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

One of the reasons japanese phillips strip easy is because they adhere to Japanese Industrial Standards which are slightly different than the phillips in the US. Hence the regular screw drivers don't fit perfectly. You can get JIS screwdrivers which would fit better and be less likely to strip the heads.

Comment

When I was looking into tiny screws for work (2-3mm long, don't ask what for) I noticed that there are several websites that specialize in nuts and bolts. As long as you know the size and pitch you should be able to order everything you need from them.

Check http://www.thomasregister.com//Searc...1&uuid=&src=aw

Jeff

Comment

Careful

Allen heads are great and really nice to work with but you have to be careful......it's very easy to generate enough torque to shear them right off. :roll:
                  1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
                  X