New Brake Pad Installation Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Brake Pad Installation Question

I'm putting new pads on the front of my GS850GLZ. The new pads are of course thicker than the old ones, so there's not enough gap to fit them over the rotor. I'm thinking that I could open the bleed valve to release the pressure, but am wondering if there is an easier way. Any suggestions about how to do this?

Squeeze them with a c-clamp either off or on the bike. You don't need to remove any fluid out unless your reservoir overflows.

Steve

Comment

You will need to compress the pistons back into the caliper bore to make enough room for the new (thicker) pads. There is a tool made specifically for this that is available at most auto parts stores. It looks like a small plate with a long threaded rod and a big valve-type handle (like a water spigot) to turn the screw. If you have a C-clamp, that will work just fine. I would suggest that you use the old pad placed against the piston to prevent damage. Slowly compress the clamp to push the piston back in the bore. Once the piston is compressed flush with the caliper, the new pads will have plenty of clearance.

Comment

You just need to push the piston back in the caliper. You might want to check your fluid level in the resevere to make sure you won't overflow it when you push the piston back. If you can't push it back with your hands, put the old pad back on the piston and use a C-clamp.

Comment

What pad thickness do you guys regard as an acceptable minimum limit? My current EBC (i.e. non-OE) pads do not have the red line or groove usually mentioned in Owner's Manuals as marking the minimum.

BB

Comment

For backing up the piston, I've discovered that using a pair of wooden framing shims works beautifully. Just arrange them so they are pointing in opposite directions and push them together until the piston is retracted far enough. I Keep the pads in when I'm doing it.
            Using a pair of shims is also really convenient if you take the wheel off and want to make sure nobody ruins your day by accidentally by squeezing the brake lever.

-Morgan

Comment

Originally posted by Bolder Biker
              What pad thickness do you guys regard as an acceptable minimum limit? My current EBC (i.e. non-OE) pads do not have the red line or groove usually mentioned in Owner's Manuals as marking the minimum.

BB
              The legal standard in Ontario is 1.5 mm....roughly 1/16 inch.

I consider that stupid, and unsafe, but it is legal.

Approaching 1/8 inch means replacement is due.
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I'll second the 1/8" for

Comment

Thanks to everyone who offered help. The clamp worked perfectly. I really like the framing shims idea, too. I didn't have any, so I took a thin piece of wood and some paper, folded the paper over and over, stuck the paper between the pads, and forced the wood between the paper. It's real tight and the pads will stay put until I'm ready to put the wheel back on. (I'm waiting for new bearings to arrive.)

About the pad thickness. The 850 had Tokico pads that had plenty of wear left, but the pads and rotors looked to have a copper-colored glaze. I decided to sand the glaze off of the rotors with fine sand paper and replace the pads. The bike lived in the city before I bought it and brought it out to the country, where I live. I think all the city driving wasn't good on the pads, which could have been original because the bike only has 9600 miles on it. Anyway, I just thought an upgrade wouldn't hurt. And when you get down to it, brake pads are cheap.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                  X