CB radio beginner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CB radio beginner

Many in the group of old (old in more ways than one...) friends I ride with have CB radios on their bikes. Since I lead a good number of these rides, I finally gave in to pressure and got myself a good used Midland CB radio on eBay some months ago. Now it's time to install it for summer riding.

A good friend of mine made me a couple of brackets which are now bolted to the top of the fairing. Great location for the unit. I've already wired it and everything looks good. Now the antenna.

What do any of you recommend for an antenna and cable? Where should I go buy it? I don't have a radio on the bike, so the CB antenna will be the only one there. I intend to bolt it to the luggage rack, just ahead of the trunk.

No push to talk yet. The important thing for me is to "have ears on", for such times as people in the back of the group need to contact me when the group breaks up at traffic lights, or anyone has problems, etc.

So, anything about antennas -- brand names, places to get it, etc. -- would be welcome. I know nothing about CB's, but I'm willing to learn.

Nick

K-40 and Willson are two names that are always talked about with revrence in the cb community .dont forget the longer the better, both for rx & tx and keep the mast as far away from you as possible to limit rf

Comment

I asked this earlier and was told to mount the antenna to a really big piece of metal for the ground.

Steve

Comment

Nick, If you still have the chrome bar that mounted the trunk you can mount a bar of steel there on the rearmost portion and mount an antenna there. That is where mine is mounted. You local Radio Shack will have the Rg52 Cable you need and ends to solder onto. Pretty much any antenna will do nowadays, hustler is one that comes to mind for me. If you have a truck stop close to your neck of the woods, they usually have a big selection of stuff and you can get an idea on what to use and how to mount. If you need close up pics of how mine is mounted, let me know and I will email you some. :twisted:

Comment

Wilsons are the best out there (unless ya can find a skipshooter)....the thing ya will need to remember is that with a bike you have very little ground plane which is kinda hard to explain but its kinda like the vehicle being the "dish" to send or receive. soooooo when ya go lookin for a stick for the bike make sure it has a load ...a can lookin thingy bout halfway the antenae...wilson makes one called a trucker...its an awesome stick....hope this helps....btw I used to fool with CB's competively...I loved it

Comment

Also, make sure you tune that antenna to your unit. If you don't you can damage the unit through reflection.

I have heard this is less of a problem nowadays, so your mileage may vary. (My 20 year old CB is still running fine.....)

Comment

Go "Ham"!

Why not just get the book "Now You're Talking" from Radio Shack, study it, and get a Technician-class ham radio license (it's really not hard to do)? A 2-meter rig will carry MUCH farther than a CB (up to 50 miles on simplex, even more with a repeater in the area, and further yet if you are in range of a repeater link system!), and if you get one with a DTMF ("touch-tone") microphone, you can often dial 911 or make LOCAL phone calls through a repeater. This will often work in areas that are "dead zones" for cell phones. Just remember that it is ILLEGAL to use a phone-patch to try to dodge long-distance charges. And with some radios you can set a PLL tone so your radio will only kick on when another radio that is sending to you is also set to that same PLL (keeps things from getting confusing in a group) And you're not limited to channels, but have a whole frequency range, so unless you're in an area with REALLY heavy ham activity (like, near Dayton, OH during the May "Hamvention"), you can usually find a clear frequency somewhere. Not as many people cussing and using burp-boxes or toilet-flush effects, either. Besides, "ham" radio is, IMHO, just plain fun 8) ! Just a suggestion...

Rich Knack, KC8MWG
              '79 GS1000L full-dresser

Comment

Regarding the antenna (and correct me if I'm wrong), my understanding is that you can get marine antennas for CB radios that don't suffer as much from the lack of a good "ground plane," because they're designed to work on fiberglass and wooden boats. I imagine they are pre"loaded" to get around the ground problem... Lollypop -- any insight here?

Regards,
                Steve 8)

Comment

Yea that will work and youre right they have larger loads on them.but.............those marine sticks are EXPENSIVE...you can get a good CB stick for 40 or 50 bucks.....you cant even buy a bad marine for that plus most of the time good marine sticks are huge (gonna look kinda funny with a 20ft stick on a GS) anyhow hope this works

Comment

Originally posted by propflux01
                    Nick, If you still have the chrome bar that mounted the trunk you can mount a bar of steel there on the rearmost portion and mount an antenna there. That is where mine is mounted. You local Radio Shack will have the Rg52 Cable you need and ends to solder onto. Pretty much any antenna will do nowadays, hustler is one that comes to mind for me. If you have a truck stop close to your neck of the woods, they usually have a big selection of stuff and you can get an idea on what to use and how to mount. If you need close up pics of how mine is mounted, let me know and I will email you some. :twisted:
                    Nick I used to own and operate one of ther hottest CB shops on long islnd NY over 20 years ago when smokey and the bandit made it the in thing. you can be sure that for what you want any antenna wil do. the advice given by propeller whatever is spot on. the rules for cb installation are longer--higher--and most of all a good ground back to the battery/ or the radio from the antenna.
                    A ground plane does magic but in the case of a bike we dont have the luxury of a trunk or steel roof to mount it on. A tuneable antenna is definitely better for the less than desireable availble mounting surfaces on a motorcyce. I think I can find an swr meter to send you. i willput it in the trunk when i leave and try to have it when i return south in a couple of weeks. Dont forget you are only trying to communicate over a very short distance from bike to nike in a group. what else?? Who knows.
                    A well tuned setup will outperform the more expensive high hype items. It just like carb tuning and ballancing.

Comment

Scotty et al,

Thanks, all, for your advice. Scotty, no need to send me anything. One of the guys in our group has been tuning the antennas for others in the bunch, and I'm sure he'll do the same for me once I get one. Thank you for offering, though, Scotty. I appreciate it.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

By the way, the guys in the group gave me the handle "Deerslayer".

Nick

Comment

Re: Go "Ham"!

Originally posted by Birdman
                        Why not just get the book "Now You're Talking" from Radio Shack, study it, and get a Technician-class ham radio license (it's really not hard to do)? A 2-meter rig will carry MUCH farther than a CB (up to 50 miles on simplex, even more with a repeater in the area, and further yet if you are in range of a repeater link system!), and if you get one with a DTMF ("touch-tone") microphone, you can often dial 911 or make LOCAL phone calls through a repeater. This will often work in areas that are "dead zones" for cell phones. Just remember that it is ILLEGAL to use a phone-patch to try to dodge long-distance charges. And with some radios you can set a PLL tone so your radio will only kick on when another radio that is sending to you is also set to that same PLL (keeps things from getting confusing in a group) And you're not limited to channels, but have a whole frequency range, so unless you're in an area with REALLY heavy ham activity (like, near Dayton, OH during the May "Hamvention"), you can usually find a clear frequency somewhere. Not as many people cussing and using burp-boxes or toilet-flush effects, either. Besides, "ham" radio is, IMHO, just plain fun 8) ! Just a suggestion...

Rich Knack, KC8MWG
                        '79 GS1000L full-dresser
                        Neat idea Rich,
                        Do you have a "ham" setup on your bike? How about a network of "Ham"
                        operators on bikes. Sounds like fun.
                        My Dad (W3QVZ) has always been in to ham radio. Sounds like it would be good for emergency's. I have been thinking of an alternative to having a cell phone.
                        Great idea,
                        Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
                          Scotty et al,

Thanks, all, for your advice. Scotty, no need to send me anything. One of the guys in our group has been tuning the antennas for others in the bunch, and I'm sure he'll do the same for me once I get one. Thank you for offering, though, Scotty. I appreciate it.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

By the way, the guys in the group gave me the handle "Deerslayer".

Nick
                          OK Nick but i went out to the parts room and found a brand new looks like never used swr meter and i had a jumper cable in my magic room that was n one of my cantennas. They are in the car already and if you change your mind then i will hand it to you in person if we meet on the trip back to florids.

Comment

Sounds good, Scotty. Do just that. Thank you so much!

Nick

Comment

Motorcycling Amateur Radio Club

Check these guys out. One of their members has a Honda Goldwing he modified for long-distance touring, and has "ham" equipment installed on it. I think he might have a CB as well, but I don't remember (I saw the machine at this year's Dayton Hamvention - pretty impressive!)

http://marc-hq.org

Comment

Working...
                              X