gassy oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gassy oil?

when checking to see if gas is in my crank case, will the gas smell be really strong like smelling my gas tank, or will it be very mild?

and on a similar line....if there is gas in the oil does it need to be changed because the gas is there or because it may potentially have created an overfill situation...or both.....?

i know it needs to be changed regardless but i'm seeing if , as long as the oil level is still between the min/max, i can start the bike up to see if i fixed the original cause of the gas in the oil..before i change the oil

Comment

Nicka - If you've got a lot of gas like I had today, your tank will be a lot emptier than you left it and you'll be able to see the "oil" level looking down in the dipstick hole. I noticed when I started the bike and fuel came out some places that nothing is supposed to come out of, like the head Anyways, if you take the dipstick out and smell the oil, and you smell any gas, I'd likely change it. If you're checking for a gas smell, then you likely think that there is gas, and if you think there's gas, there probably is. Also, fix the reason there's gas in there first. If the level's higher than it should be, then you've likely got gas, and even if you don't you need to drain some off so you might as well change it.

Phil - Apparently gas can do some bad things to your clutch friction plates. If you don't think you totally fixed the problem and you want to run the engine to check it, it's at your discretion. Depending on how much fuel got in there. It's thinner so it can leak out gaskets that oil wouldn't. By leak I mean project itself up to 3 feet, so that gets messy. If you've only got a tiny bit of gas, then you probably wouldn't have noticed it so that's not likely an issue. I would change the oil and filter and then start her up. OR if the leak exists while not running, you could simply drain the case completly and wait awhile and if there were gas in the case later, then you'd know you've got more work to do. Again your call, but don't leave it in there too long whether you're running the engine or not.

Best of luck to both of you,

Comment

yeah gas in the oil thins the oil, and the oils ability to lub is shot, so you could burn bearings out very quick and over heat your engine. just go to the auto store and buy the cheapest oil they got an use that until the problem is fixed.

also if you have to much gas in the oil then your combustion chambers can fill and you can cause hydrolock and do a lot of damage.

-ryan
        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x
        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Working...
        X