New used engine, ?'s & tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New used engine, ?'s & tips

Hello, I am new to the board. Wow, great stuff and great people from what I can tell. I got an '81 GS550 in decent shape. It seems to run good w/ decent power. I can abrely get it over 75mph but then again I am a big guy around 230 & 6'1". It won't hold an idle when warm, even after carb syn. The shop mentioned that the motor might be shot, old, abused, whatever... I found an '80 GS 550 E motor on ebay. The guy tore is down and said everything looked like new. All 4 cyl. had 140 compression he said. I ordered a new overhaul gasket kit for rebuild cause he is sending in pieces, cheaper shipping that way. What else should I check, replace, etc... I know this question is a bit ambigous but I'm just looking for tips really. This will be my 1st motorcycle engine build/rebuild. Also, I am not sure the shop I used cleaned the carbs at all, should I do this at the same time?

Thx ahead of time!!!

Doesn't sound like the shop cleaned the carbs. That seems to be the number one problem people have, dirty carbs. There is a carb cleanup series you can find on the site homepage. While the carbs are different than yours it should serve as a guide to help you. Get a service manual for your bike.

Comment

check for leaks around your intake boots (the ones between the carbs and the engine) you maybe getting a leak and leaning the engine out. my 550 with my girlfriend and i on it is pushin about 300+lbs and it does fine. btw the 550 engine is bullet proof so your engine is probly good and just a carb issue.

-ryan
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

The intake is leaking. The boots look old and worn, not to mention some peeling. Where can I get some new ones & o-rings?

P.S. While driving yesterday, I paid careful attention to my problem(s), 1) While on the highway, if I gun it & try to accel hard, it bogs for a second then picks up, 2) I had to set the idle screw high around 2000-2100 to keep it from dying at lights. I plan to rebuilt the carbs & clean good, which I am sure is not helping here, other than the intake leak, is there possibly anything else to check or be concerned w/?

Thx!!!

Comment

Working...
        X