Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where do i begin?

Hello,

I just put together my 79 gs 850 (vm 26 mikuni's). Tope end rebuild gaskets seals etc. I did not check the valve clearances, because I didn't have the associated tools and I didn't lap the valves so I assumed that the bike would run the same (well) as it did before. I only torn it down because the previous owner had stripped a spark plug hole. The bike has been rejetted (I forget the specs) Exahaust is original 4 into 2 but with the baffles removed and emigo pod filters. The bike ran great with these mods before the rebuild.

The bike now runs rich on all 4 plugs (very black). Sluggish in lower rpms. It won't idle well, and runs better with the choke on a little even after warm up. It also surges and rpms come down slowly. I set the points and timing with a light. I also cleaned the carbs very well. Didn't check the float height yet, but will. Running out of room. Any thought? Thanks

Are you sure that you didn't mix up any of the shims? Also, have you changed the spark plugs since they've looked black?

Comment

where do i go from here?

No, none of the shims were mixed up. I did clean the plugs, but they came out black again.

Comment

It could be float heighth.

Comment

nope, I checked the float height 3X. The Bike also tends to have a raise in rpms when I wack the throttle, but does not have an equal increase in speed.

The new "problem is that the breather tube that vents the crankcase seems to be "steaming" with a gas like vapor.

Also since I'm running a different tank I'm using a simple on/off fuel tap, could this be the cause of the problems? The vaccum line that normally runs to the stock petcock is not capped off. If I cap it off engine rpms go through the roof, and don't come down. I think that I may have a few problems here that are combining to create this list of syptoms. But what are the causes?

Anyone Help :roll:

Comment

Working...
          X