Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the "right"way to put the carbs back on the bike..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the "right"way to put the carbs back on the bike..

ok so i have my carbs cleaned but now i need to get them back on the bike....a 82 650G

i picked up some silicone lubricant as i heard that is key...

so now do i get them into the engine or airbox side first...and do i/can i spray the hell out of all the rubber peices..and any tricks beyond that...i already losened the airbox and slid it back as far as it would go...

Phil

Sit on the bike, with the carbs lined up, put them in the engine first, then slide on the airbox. Make sure you attach the cables to the carb before you put it back on the engine. Also make sure all your clamps are nice and loose. Good luck.

Comment

I've never done this personally but I heard heating up the rubber intake manifolds by dropping them in some hot water makes them much more malleable, then put on some silicone and squeeze them on. Also, having a heat gun would be helpfull in warming up the rubbers too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mookie
        I've never done this personally but I heard heating up the rubber intake manifolds by dropping them in some hot water makes them much more malleable, then put on some silicone and squeeze them on. Also, having a heat gun would be helpfull in warming up the rubbers too.
        yah but by the time you get them all bolted back on there back to room temp again

Comment

Ok the problem in the intake boots are really hard and stiff. I took a heat gun (glorified hair drier) and carefully warmed them up a bit. In about 5 minutes, they were plyable enough to put the carbs on as described above, but with minimal effort. Actually they sliped on like butter. I was very carefull not to burn them though, and keeping the heat moving is important. Rubber does melt, but these are intended to take a considerable amount of heat in use.
          Patrick

Comment

Those intake pipes fell right off of my 1100's airbox when I tried to put everything back together. I think I need to glue them on to get a seal now.

Steve

Comment

hey phil don't even think about putting gas into those carbs until you get a inline fuel filter, it will save you some headaches later.

the best thing i can recomend is just patients and firm hand.

-ryan
              78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
              82 Kat 1000 Project
              05 CRF450x
              10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Uh oh...methinks I need to install mine at lunch today.
                I'd hate to have to clean the carbs again... :roll:

Stupid me, I knew there was something I forgot...
                Dm of mD

Comment

Originally posted by first timer
                  hey phil don't even think about putting gas into those carbs until you get a inline fuel filter, it will save you some headaches later.

the best thing i can recomend is just patients and firm hand.

-ryan
                  already have the inline on the fuel line...just need time to put it all back together... :x

Comment

Working...
                  X