Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I get better mileage with a good running bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I get better mileage with a good running bike?

Hi guys,
    I just did some math and it looks like I'm getting 42 MPG out of my 400. This is with riding at 100-130 km/h (60-80 MPH) and not using the choke or stopping anywhere. Is this reasonable? I don't think I used 6th gear at all during the ride so revs were around 7-8000 most of the time.

I really don't know where to start but I'd like to get 60 MPG if possible. My carbs are spotless, sync'd, with new o-rings including the manifold. Plugs, boots and wires are all within spec and fairly new. The air filter is clean and moist with oil as it should be. The valves are also set properly.

There haven't been any reports of smoke or anything coming from my bike either.

What do you guys think I should do?

Thanks, Steve

.........I don't think I used 6th gear at all during the ride so revs were around 7-8000 most of the time...........
    Maybe try using your 6th gear?
    Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
    "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
    1982 GS1100E
    1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Originally posted by frosty5011
      .........I don't think I used 6th gear at all during the ride so revs were around 7-8000 most of the time...........
      Maybe try using your 6th gear?
      yes. Why dont you use 6th gear Steve???

Comment

One tooth larger on the front sprocket.

Comment

My bike gets great mileage when I "trailer" it

But, seriously, what's considered good mileage for a bike of that size? My 550L has achieved mid 50's (I think -- it's been several years since I actually tracked it) but everyone I talked to thought that this was extraordinary for a bike its size...

Steve 8)

Comment

6th gear isn't safe, you're stuck in traffic without any power. I'm going on a 1000 km trip this week so I'll see if things change but I was hoping to do some tweaking before I hit the road.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
              6th gear isn't safe, you're stuck in traffic without any power. I'm going on a 1000 km trip this week so I'll see if things change but I was hoping to do some tweaking before I hit the road.

Steve
              Why would you be in sixth gear if your stuck in traffic???

Comment

A couple of downshifts and off you go.

Comment

John, high speed bumper to bumper traffic

Comment

try getting off the 401 and moving to b.c. lotsa room

Comment

John, high speed bumper to bumper traffic
                      well thats what gear boxes are for, shifting up and down as needed, it pretty basic, use your gear box steve thats what its there for

Comment

I don't know what is normal mileage for your model, but if your bike seems to be running well and the plugs are the right color, then I doubt you can increase the mileage from 42 to 60. When you hit 80 mph however, your mileage will decrease some. About 60-65 is probably where your bike gets its best mileage, even though you probably don't want to go at that speed all the time.
                        All you can do is keep each component in good shape/adjusted correctly. As each component wears, it takes a little gas mileage with it, be it the motor or wheel bearings, etc.
                        Changing the gearing will lower your rpm's but on a 400 you may not want to sacrifice the power. Cam timing can change the mileage but your timing could already be where you like it. Playing with the jetting is too risky. You don't want to lean it out and overheat.
                        Probably the simplist things you can do is keep your tires up around 36 psi. If you normally keep lower pressure, this will help a bit. Proper chain slack is important. Leaning down if you like will decrease wind resistance and help a little more. Higher octane fuel costs more but burns better, so that should help mileage a bit? How about losing some weight (if you need to)?
                        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Re: How do I get better mileage with a good running bike?

Hi guys,
                          I just did some math and it looks like I'm getting 42 MPG out of my 400. This is with riding at 100-130 km/h (60-80 MPH) and not using the choke or stopping anywhere. Is this reasonable? I don't think I used 6th gear at all during the ride so revs were around 7-8000 most of the time.

Thanks, Steve
                          Hey Steve,
                          I don't have any experience with your 400 model. But I would say from the description (60-80 mph) 7-8 K , as unpopular as this sounds. Slowing down and not running as hard may be the only way to go from 42mpg to 60 mpg.

The next factor as pointed out in the fine tire article that you just posted about. Is tire inflation, size and condition. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the article pointed out is that as the tread wears down, there is
                          less rolling resistance than a new tire and a improvement in MPG.

Of course one should Always replace your tires before they are worn out.
                          And . Especially if you ride in the rain. (as I do). You get really good milage when you ride 50 mph on wet roads.

I run Bridgestone Spitfire tires with the harder compound in the center and softer on the shoulders. I suppose my moderate riding style keeps me on the harder compound much of the time. Contributing to less rolling resistance.

As in life everthing is a trade off.

Larger tires>worse MPG. More inflation>better MPG. Of course you should run the air pressure that is recomended for your tires and bike.

On my bone stock 850L. I get 50 mpg pretty consistently. But I pretty much always ride the speed limit and rarely see 5K. I am just plain slow and easy on my bikes.

That way the bikes and I both last longer. I don't do it for the milage, the real reason is I just enjoy that pace.

just my 2 cents.

Charlie

Comment

fuel consumption

Find out at what revs your bike produces most torque (NOT power). Use your gearbox to keep the engine at those revs all the time. This is where the engine is most efficient. Avoid hard acceleration. You will find you use the gearbox less BECAUSE it is producing max torque as opposed to trying to keep it on max power where the torque is considerably less, generally speaking. I tried this once, after reading it somewhere, and got over 70 mpg on a Z 750 LTD. This will work for any engine.

Comment

Re: How do I get better mileage with a good running bike?

Originally posted by LandscapeMan

On my bone stock 850L. I get 50 mpg pretty consistently. But I pretty much always ride the speed limit and rarely see 5K. I am just plain slow and easy on my bikes.

That way the bikes and I both last longer. I don't do it for the milage, the real reason is I just enjoy that pace.

just my 2 cents.

Charlie
                              Charlie, your post tends to confirm my susp!cion that the wide fluctuation of mileage figures I see for the identical bikes is due almost entirely to riding style. I have an 850 also, a G model but exactly the same engine. I run stock exhausts, well tuned carbs, dyna ignition and still get mileage in the 35-37 mpg range. 40 tops. Our styles are somewhat similiar in that I rarely see 5k either, but in my case it is because I usually move above it very quickly after the light changes.

I get similiar mileage or worse from my GK. Last summer I rode out to Las Vegas and fried my stator in the AZ desert. Fortunately the bike has a voltmeter and after charging the battery I found I could keep a small amount of charge rate running exactly 60 miles an hour which I did steadily across the flat desert blacktop between Kingman AZ and LV. I had too much else going on to measure my mileage, but I know it was better that it had ever been. I would estimate at least 45-50 mpg.
                              Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                              X