changin' shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

changin' shoes

I need to change both front and rear tires on my GS 650 GL. This may be the only time that I'm sorry that I have a shaftie. I know the manual outlines it....but has anyone done it? Is it difficult? How hard is it to get the tires off the rims without a machine? Would it make more sense to take it to the shop? Will they charge me an arm and a leg?

I did it on an 850 gl, and it was very easy. It was actually easier to do then on a chain bike. Just follow the instructions and go with it.

Comment

I've been removing and re-installing wheels on my GS bikes for many years. It's an easy job on a nekked bike; more complicated on a bike like my GK, which has saddlebags.

I take my wheels to an independent mechanic who charges me $25 per wheel to remove the old tire, install the new one, and balance it. I recommend you do that, though others will tell you to go ahead and do it yourself. I wouldn't. My mechanic does it efficiently and expertly, and correctly.

Of course, it's extra if he installs a new tube on the front, which I have him do every time.

Don't ever be sorry you got a shaftie.

Nick

Comment

The only thing you need to worry about is clearance It helps if you have the susuki tool to compress the front forks Or use a tyedown strap to compress the front forks Or put a 2x6 under the centerstand. Otherwise it is easier than a chain. Unbolt the rear of the muffler should give you enough room to remove the axel. ,remove the brakes, Remove the axel, and slide the wheel off Don't forget to grease the gear splines when you put it together. I mount my own tires and spend $5 to have them balanced

Comment

what about the rubber? is that easy enough to do myself....with a little soapy water on a warm day?...

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
            I've been removing and re-installing wheels on my GS bikes for many years. It's an easy job on a nekked bike; more complicated on a bike like my GK, which has saddlebags.

I take my wheels to an independent mechanic who charges me $25 per wheel to remove the old tire, install the new one, and balance it. I recommend you do that, though others will tell you to go ahead and do it yourself. I wouldn't. My mechanic does it efficiently and expertly, and correctly.

Of course, it's extra if he installs a new tube on the front, which I have him do every time.

Don't ever be sorry you got a shaftie.

Nick
            I agree with Nick on this one. I bought a set of Dunlop 402 today. Mounting and balancing are included for no extra charge at my local cycle parts supplier. Bit more work with the saddlebags. Otherwise piece of cake.

Don't forget to repack a high quality grease around the gear before you remount rear wheel on bike.

Charlie

Comment

It's not that hard Rear is easy NO tube, it should say tubeless on the rim.
              I use a big C clamp to break the bead loose and 3 MC type tire irons and some cut up plastic to protect the rim. The front may have a tube That requires a little extra work. It would be advisable to replace the tube while it is apart

Comment

thanks for everyones help!

Comment

Working...
                X