noise at idle??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

noise at idle??????

IS IT NORMALE TO HEAR CLANKING AND CLUNKING NOISE WHEN THE BIKE IS AT IDLE? FROM THE CRANK CASE AREA?
    "and run normale when accelerating(''no noise) i have a 1978 gs 1000 997cc? can anybody help??

My first thought is that your bike has the "famed" clutch rattle. It is relatively easy and cheap to fix, send it awy and get it re-done, you will have to wait for suggestions as to where though.
    Dink

Comment

I have the same rattle, it goes away when the bike is warmed up. There are many posts here on the subject, search those out. Most people say its from a loose clutch hub nut that may need to be retorqued or replaced. People have said it got sorted out using an Ape Racing nut. I'm going to try and retorque mine and if that doesn't work I'm going to replace it.

Manufacturer and distributor of high performance motorcycle parts and accessories for street and drag. Find fuel valves (petcocks), wheel chocks, air shifters, all electric shifter kits, wheelie bars and more here. Products for Yamaha, Harley-Davidson, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Honda available.

Comment

I had a similiar noise from my 850 so I took off the cam chain tensioner and cleaned it up and de-burred the shaft. The noise was greatly reduced after this simple fix. Hope this helps.

Comment

thanks for the help, was much needed.

Comment

Dink is right on, it is a common 1000 issue as well as noisy cam chain at idle. If you are really concerned then opening it is needed to determine how much wear there is. If the end of the shaft is not warn then you can replace the basket and any other needed components that are warn yourself. If the end of the shaft is warn then it will need replaced and for that you need to tear the bottom end apart and have the crank professionally done. Get it balanced and welded while your at it if it comes to that.

If you wait, the later will happen eventually anyway so checking it is advisable. The sooner the better.

Comment

The things to do are:

make sure the clutch nut is torqued properly..it can loosen and make the noise worse

synch the carbs..this improves things no end

i rebuild my clutch twice when things got really bad (far more than a normal rattle)..this involves better rivets and springs on the back plate

pull in the clutch, ride and don't worry! use earplugs if necessary....this is a common noise that is part of the character

Comment

Working...
              X