Anybody running D404's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody running D404's?

Tires in Canada just went up a bunch so I had to settle on a rear Dunlop D404. What kind of mileage and handling can I expect guys?

Thanks, Steve

Re: Anybody running D404's?

Originally posted by srivett
    Tires in Canada just went up a bunch so I had to settle on a rear Dunlop D404. What kind of mileage and handling can I expect guys?

Thanks, Steve
    Hey Steve,
    Partly due to your tire article. Today I bought a new set of Dunlop 402 tires. According to my cycle parts supplier. They have really deep tread in the center. Great feel and very good rain tire.
    On top of that, he has had Harley Riders getting up to 18K miles on them.
    Kind of hard to believe. But I just rode home on a new set and they handle superb.

The only downside is in my size 130/90/16 they have Harley Davidson engraved on them. LOL.

Charlie

The D402 is the only tire approved by Harley-Davidson for its touring bikes.

Built with a three-ply polyester casing with two fiberglass belts, the D402 offers greater load-carrying capacity and stability.

Computer-optimized tread profile with offset center groove improves rider confidence over rain grooves and steel-grated bridges, while reducing cupping for even wear.

The Dunlop? Harley-Davidson? Tire Series D402 is available in front and rear blackwall, single white bar, or wide white sidewall, all with an H speed rating.

Wider MU85B16 rear tire is now available in black, slim white sidewall and wide white sidewall, and is load-rated up to 908 pounds.

Comment

The 401 and 402 and very similar to K491s

What made you buy new tires? I'm sorry for costing you so much!

Steve

Comment

The 401 and 402 and very similar to K491s

What made you buy new tires? I'm sorry for costing you so much!

Steve
        Well my rear tire ( Bridgestone Spitfire) was getting a bit worn, but not all the way gone. My front tire same type. Actually had pretty good tread left. But I decided I wanted a new matched set of Dunlops.

I just don't like to run them down to much and then be far from home and my tire guy when I need a new set.

Just thought I would get it done and over with and not have to worry about it for a while. Besides they handle sweet. I am curious how they will do on milage.

Thanks for the article!

Charlie

Comment

Here's some ramblings about a couple Dunlop tires incase anybody is interested.

Okay, the D404 is a replacement for the 627 rear and F11 front. It is made in Japan unlike the D401, K491, and K591. The price is about 45% less too so if you factor in shipping from Japan you may be able to conclude that the tire is worth half as much as an American tire. Right off the bat I noticed that the sidewalls are not nearly as stiff as the K591s so perhaps this is why the price differs. The rear 110/90 18 has 7 mm centre tread and 4 mm edge tread when new. A 591 has 4 mm all around when new if I recall correctly.

As for the D401 vs D402, the D401 is for light Harleys and the D402 is for the big hogs. That would mean that the 402 probably has a bit harder rubber compound. As far as mileage and tread goes both are pretty much Dunlop K491s.

Steve

Comment

D401's here...the ones with H-D on them.

Dm of mD

Comment

Yeah, I bought one for 105 bucks today. I got a rocking deal, I could sell it for 150 if I wanted to.

Cheers, Steve

Comment

Here's some ramblings about a couple Dunlop tires incase anybody is interested.

Okay, the D404 is a replacement for the 627 rear and F11 front. It is made in Japan unlike the D401, K491, and K591. The price is about 45% less too so if you factor in shipping from Japan you may be able to conclude that the tire is worth half as much as an American tire. Right off the bat I noticed that the sidewalls are not nearly as stiff as the K591s so perhaps this is why the price differs. The rear 110/90 18 has 7 mm centre tread and 4 mm edge tread when new. A 591 has 4 mm all around when new if I recall correctly.

As for the D401 vs D402, the D401 is for light Harleys and the D402 is for the big hogs. That would mean that the 402 probably has a bit harder rubber compound. As far as mileage and tread goes both are pretty much Dunlop K491s.

Steve
                Hey Steve,
                Thanks for the info. Good point about the stiff sidewalls. My tire guy said you can really tell they are stiff when he has them on the tire changer.

I guess since i have the HD 402. That means my bike is a "Big Hog".

I got a chance to ride in the rain. These tires are sweet. Hopefully they will last a long time.

So I presume you did not get the 404 as per your first post? Did you get the 401?

Anyone else have 402?

Charlie

Comment

I bought both. My 400 just wore out a K591 so I put a D404 on the back. My 1100 has a front tire made in 99 and a rear made in 97 so I'm switching it over too and hope to be riding it some time this year. The 401 is a front tire for my 1100 and has 5 mm of tread all around. You can add 0.5 mm to the tread numbers I gave for the D404, I made a mistake reading the guage I've got.

The strength of the sidewalls is most important when you get a flat. I've had my 591 go flat between 130 and 160 km/hr with no problem. A couple days ago it went flat at 130 and it wasn't much of a problem except that I had 100 pounds of gear on my back seat. This made it wobble when slowing down with the brakes but not a big deal. Unfortunately the tube bunched up and stuck out between the tire and rim which made things quite bumpy which riding to a gas station. I was so tired at this point I called a tow truck and paid 100 bucks CDN to get carried 20 km...I've ridden 25 km on a flat before at 40 km/hr.

Steve

Comment

Interesting,
                    I don't recall in the past 35 years of riding that I ever got a flat on a bike.

Then again. They say the memory is the first thing to go.
                    Oh yea I did grow up in the 60's. Maybe that has something to do with the memory loss.
                    Charlie

Comment

After 200 km of riding I can confirm that the soft sidewalls are noticable. In tight high speed turns you can feel that the tire is going in a different direction than the bike! I was running 35 PSI without a tube but I'm going to try 40 PSI and see if it gets any better. I think the deep tread plays a part in this too, my K591 only had 4 mm of tread when new.

Steve

Comment

After 200 km of riding I can confirm that the soft sidewalls are noticable. In tight high speed turns you can feel that the tire is going in a different direction than the bike! I was running 35 PSI without a tube but I'm going to try 40 PSI and see if it gets any better. I think the deep tread plays a part in this too, my K591 only had 4 mm of tread when new.

Steve
                        I have put about 500 mi. on my Dunlop 402. Seems very stable in high speed curves. I guess due to the stiff construction.
                        My gas milage is down a few MPG over the more worn less tread S11 Bridgestone that I had on prior. This is just what your tire article said would happen.
                        Charlie

Comment

Hey steve, how are those D404's doing for you after a full year? running a fairly light bike I wonder if I'd notice the sidewall much, tho your point about a heavy tire and a flat may make the decision...

Comment

I don't really remember much about the D404 to be honest. I think I ran it on the GS400E for about a week and a half before switching to the GS1100E so I'm glad I didn't pony up the bucks for a 491. When I wore out the rear tire on the 1100 I was able to take part in a group buy with a bunch of friends where we bought 15 tires so I got a K491 at a significant discount. It is an amazingly heavy tire! 2000 km later and it still has the nipples on the tread.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                            X