How often do you change your oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How often do you change your oil?

I know this is a really basic question, but my tiny owners manual doesn't say (at least very clearly). I'm riding an 84 gs1150es. Also, has anyone tried to install these saddle bags (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ct.asp?ID=3926) with a V&H 4into 1 setup? After changing the oil it's pretty clear to see that V&H didn't think very much before they designed it and I was wondering if there would be a clearance problem. The pipe doesn't seem like it would be high enough to interfere but then again i've never installed saddlebags before.

I change my oil at 2000 mile intervals using honda synthetic blend oil (for motorcycles).
    I am unable to answer the second question. (no sadle bags or 4-1 pipe)
    If I need the added storage space of sadle bags I ride my 1300 voyager or take one of the cars.

Comment

I change my oil every 1500-2000 miles... as for the saddle bags, I ride a 78 gs750 with large vetter hard bags and a v&H 4 into 1 that really only slightly points up, and the only problem I have is a LOT of soot build up on the bottom of the RHS bag and 2 small holes that melted into the bottom. Those bags look designed for rockets that have the pipe pointing quite a bit up, I don't forsee any problem, but V&H may have changed their style in the last 15 yrs. (about when my V&H was purchased)

Comment

Motorcycle Consumer News magazine did a great article comparing automotive oils like Mobli 1 and Castrol GTX to motorcycle specific oils including Honda, Belray and Golden Spectro. I recall in the catagory of viscosity beakdown the Mobil 1 ranked heads above the others with Casrol coming in second. I believe they saw a considerable breakdown by 3000 miles with the Mobil 1 and recommended changing it by about 2000 miles. The other oils needed changing much sooner like at about 1000 to 1500 miles. Also, if memory serves, Mobil 1 outperformed the motorcycle oils in about every catagory and it will not harm your clutch.
        Axel

Comment

oil change frequency

I change my oil when something bad happens inside the engine that makes a oil drain essential, which with the turbo usually means my oil is no older than 3000miles old
          :twisted:

Comment

I change mine regardless of riding habit every 1500 to 2000 miles. Filter every other change. I'd rather do the little bit of preventive maintenance and spent the bucks on oil then have to do a rebuild if something else breaks. Then I can't ride at all. Well at least till the cruiser gets here.

Comment

Brian i just mixed up a batch of special oil
              1 qt of mobile 1 15-50
              1 qt of castrol syntec 5-50
              1 qt of gastol gtx 20-50
              and one quart of vino Italiano
              No its not for the motorcycle
              great and informative articles

Comment

Scotty,
                If your mixing your wine then I know I don't want to drink any. I've never seen wine mix before. Is that in the Kool Aid section at the store?

Comment

My gosh, you guys are scaring me. Significant breakdown in Mobil 1 at 3000 miles? Makes me wonder how I got 100,000 miles out of my GS1000 using whatever was on sale (Valvoline, Shell Fire & Ice, Castrol, etc) and often letting the changes go to 4 or 5 K miles. Suzukis must be tough, eh?

Comment

Working...
                  X