Top Speed Seems Low...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top Speed Seems Low...

My 81' GS850L tops out at about 85mph in 5th at about 5,000 rpm. That seems low to me, is this normal? If not, what can I check on to increase my high end?

Re: Top Speed Seems Low...

Originally posted by junebug
    My 81' GS850L tops out at about 85mph in 5th at about 5,000 rpm. That seems low to me, is this normal? If not, what can I check on to increase my high end?
    If I am not mistaken my 81 850L is doing more like 65 mph at 5K rmp.

As far as topend you should be able to pull well over 100 mph. The speedo only goes to 85 mph but the bike will go much faster.

Comment

I'm sorry. You're right about that. It is about 65mph at 5000rpm. However, I'm topping off at about 78-80mph. I'm not taching out the speedo, I'm just winding out around 80. Clutch adjustment, maybe?

Comment

Has the gearing been changed? It sounds like someone tried to lower the rpm by putting higher ration gears on, but the engine doesn't have enough power to pull it past that speed. To test this theory I think you could pull the clutch in a bit to allow the engine to hit it's peak power, then ease it back out as your speed builds, just keep the engine in the power band. Not a permanant solution, just a good test.

Comment

Sounds like it is down on power, I would check for exhaust gasket leaks, dirty carbs, if it has a 4-1 or a different air filter it may need jetting.
          My bike would max at 80-85 when I first got it, after doing the above it continues to pull after the needle is buried.

Comment

Sure enough my carbs were in bad shape. Thanks for all of the help guys.

Comment

Working...
            X