Hap or anyone, How would you wire this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hap or anyone, How would you wire this?

When I had my '96 ZX6R the headlight would go off when the starter button was pressed, I guess to provide more umph for the starter. Would this be a difficult mod to our GS's and if so how would one accomplish the task? Thanks.

Re: Hap or anyone, How would you wire this?

Originally posted by moto_dan
    When I had my '96 ZX6R the headlight would go off when the starter button was pressed, I guess to provide more umph for the starter. Would this be a difficult mod to our GS's and if so how would one accomplish the task? Thanks.
    Sorry to stick my 2 cents into this one but i recall on commercial refrigeration units, we used a device called a voltage relay- it was made for 110 or 220 volts though--it was used to temporarily cut out the run winding and allow the start winding to get things going--the thing would operate something like this if one could be found for a 12 volt circuit---when the key is turned on, the headlight would be on because the controll winding side of the relay would have a full 12 volts and keep the contacts that supplied current to the light closed- when the starter button was pushed the drop in voltage would cause the relay to open and thus disconnect the headlight--when the engine started and the starter was disengaged, the voltage to the controll side of the relay would rise --current would flow and close the contacts which in turn would put the light back on-- but where can such a relay that runs on 12 volts be found??? there is a place in california called all electronics that has lots of unusual parts --i will look and meanwhile Hap will surely read--correct --approve or simplify the idea

Comment

The first correction is that it would be better to break the ground wire-
      THE NEXT ITEM WOULD BE TO FIND A RELAY LIKE THIS--MAYBE SOME FOLKS WHO ARE GOOD WITH AUTOMIBLES OR ANY OTHER GADGET COULD FIND A DEVICE SUCH AS THIS--JUST FOR THE RECORD I LIKE THE SIMPLICITY OF THE ON AND OF SWITCH BUT THIS TYPE OF CIRCUIT IS PROBABLY WHAT WAS USED ON THE BIKE THAT WAS MENTIONED BEFORE--MAYBE WE COULD LOOK AT A SCHEMATIC OF THAT BIKE AND FIND OUT THE PART NUMBER

Comment

ok heres another quick idea- a regular 12 volt relay that is normally closed--- hook it up so that when the starter is activated by the button then the relay opens the ground to the headlight--when the starter button is released then the relay closes the ground circuit to the headlights once again--this sounds much more sensable now

Comment

Originally posted by SLOWPOKE
          ok heres another quick idea- a regular 12 volt relay that is normally closed--- hook it up so that when the starter is activated by the button then the relay opens the ground to the headlight--when the starter button is released then the relay closes the ground circuit to the headlights once again--this sounds much more sensable now
          Thanks for your input. Sounds reasonable to me, now I need to have it in the form of "Wiring relays for Dummies".

Comment

My bike came with one allready installed, and it is a easy, benifitial mod. to do.

this is how:
            you will need a relay, a "potter&brumfield" pn#VF4-15F11-Z01 (readely available at any parts store) or a compact one(used on newer cars) work great.

you will need to run a wire from green with yellow stripe wire coming from the starter button to the number 85 terminal on the relay.
            you then run a wire from the number 86 terminal on the relay to a good ground (black with white stripe wire)
            you then will need to cut the black with white stripe wire coming from the headlight plug (headlight ground) long enough to conect a extension and conect this wire to the terminal on the relay, marked 87A (normaly closed) and then run a wire from terminal 30 to the ground wire that did go to the headlight plug.

this will fit in the headlight bucket especialy if a compact relay is used.
            terminal 87 is not used for this aplication.

Comment

My 79 750 accomplishes that very thing. The headlight has an on off switch. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by focus frenzy
              My bike came with one allready installed, and it is a easy, benifitial mod. to do.

this is how:
              you will need a relay, a "potter&brumfield" pn#VF4-15F11-Z01 (readely available at any parts store) or a compact one(used on newer cars) work great.

you will need to run a wire from green with yellow stripe wire coming from the starter button to the number 85 terminal on the relay.
              you then run a wire from the number 86 terminal on the relay to a good ground (black with white stripe wire)
              you then will need to cut the black with white stripe wire coming from the headlight plug (headlight ground) long enough to conect a extension and conect this wire to the terminal on the relay, marked 87A (normaly closed) and then run a wire from terminal 30 to the ground wire that did go to the headlight plug.

this will fit in the headlight bucket especialy if a compact relay is used.
              terminal 87 is not used for this aplication.
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Hey, I have one of those light switch things too!! The good old days.....

Comment

Thanks sounds doable even for me. I hear it's been hot down in the southern part of the county. You guys who have a light switch? What a novel idea :roll:

Comment

Yepper, its been a wee tad toasty down south. 100 degrees
                    and pouring rain. Like riding in a steam bath. Funny thing is going from one rain squall to another, you can be wet, dried out and resoaked all in five minutes. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by moto_dan
                    Thanks sounds doable even for me. I hear it's been hot down in the southern part of the county. You guys who have a light switch? What a novel idea :roll:

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Flordia the land where you never get totally dry.

Earl,
                      I Lived in Florida(Daytona and Ft. Walton) several years and when describing the humidity I usually tell peope that I took a shower in '70 but never got completely dry 'til I moved away '78.

Our temps have been close to the triple digits this past week, which is actually a fairly mild summer for the DFW area. Heat in this part of Texas is always compared to the heat wave of '80 when we had about 60 consecutive days of 100+ temps .

Comment

moto_dan, I can run my bike over and you can see how the relay is wired, I work off of 28th street in fort worth, so it is just down the road a little bit.
                        PS: we did break 100 yesterday down here, and managed to reach 100 the day before.

Comment

Re: Flordia the land where you never get totally dry.

The worst part of high temps is I have not found a jacket that is comfortable for 100 deg days. I have a mesh riding jacket and even that I would only call tolerable. Have you found anything that is actually pleasant to wear in a furnace? :-)

Earl

[quote="moto_dan"
                          Our temps have been close to the triple digits this past week, which is actually a fairly mild summer for the DFW area. Heat in this part of Texas is always compared to the heat wave of '80 when we had about 60 consecutive days of 100+ temps .[/quote]

Comment

Working...
                          X