What brand chain do you run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What brand chain do you run?

Hi Everyone , What brand drive chain does everybody run. I just put on new sprockets and a cheap $25 chain on my gs 550. I lube it at least every 100 miles . I have had to readust it 4 times now and after only 700 miles i belive it is almost shot. I know it is not normal practice to reuse the sprokets but mine look great yet, do you think i can get by with just a chain? Any sugestions appriciated.
    Thanks
    Mike

I know you aren't supposed to run old sprockets/new chain, but mie looked great, with no hooking of the teeth, so I replaced mine with a DID o-ring chain. I have adjusted it twice in maybe 3000 miles.....

Comment

Re: What brand chain do you run?

Mike

First off, is your chain motorcycle chain? Industrial chain is much cheaper, but it will stretch to beat H...... and isnt worth messing with trying to use. If the sprockets still have square edged teeth,
      they are fine. When I bought my 750, the bike had 12000 miles on it and the sprockets looked fine. The chain was solid rust. I replaced only the chain. I'm using a DID chain from J C Whitney
      (non O ring), just a plain master link chain. I find that different chains require different tension. There is no set amount of slack to leave for all chains when you adjust them. With the bike on the center stand, I set the chain with about 1 1/2" of slack. Lube it well and ride it for 100 miles. The amount of slack I have after the 100 miles is what I set the chain to everytime I adjust it after that.
      I lube the chain about every 100 miles also. I have put almost
      6000 miles on my cheap chain and both it and the sprockets are doing fine. When the chain was new, it was set at the 5th mark on the swingarm/axle graduations, now 6000 miles later, it is on the 6 th mark. Keep it well lubed and use the least amount of tension you can and the chain will last and last and last and and and. eh eh eh

Earl

Originally posted by Mike Jost
      Hi Everyone , What brand drive chain does everybody run. I just put on new sprockets and a cheap $25 chain on my gs 550. I lube it at least every 100 miles . I have had to readust it 4 times now and after only 700 miles i belive it is almost shot. I know it is not normal practice to reuse the sprokets but mine look great yet, do you think i can get by with just a chain? Any sugestions appriciated.
      Thanks
      Mike
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Chain

530 DID X-ring chain and Sunstar sprockets on my GS1100.
        Had to lower the chain adjuster for the smaller system, but performs well, and boy is that gold colored chain ever noticeable.

Comment

You can't beat the DID X-ring. I've used them on my Bandit 1200, GSXR Limited and my KTM400. They'll outlast the original and the gold color doesn't rust.
          Axel

Comment

chain

I've had the best luck (no tight spots) with Regina. Carter
            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

I used the DID X-ring and found it lasted only 2500 miles (supposed to be a 10,000 chain) before it stretched beyond its' serviceable limit. I went to the Regina W-ring and it has lasted much, much longer. I kept the same sprockets. They were put on when I put on the DID but were in excellent shape when I was forced to change chains so I kept them.

I asked this same question when I changed my chain in this forum!

Hap

Comment

My Clymer manual says to use a continuous non-link chain. I haven't seen one available anywhere. It it necessary, or can I use a link? Also, I have noticed in the catalogs that they sell clip and rivet connecting links. Do I need both? I am completly ignorant on this subject. Please advise.

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by TheNose
                  My Clymer manual says to use a continuous non-link chain. I haven't seen one available anywhere. It it necessary, or can I use a link? Also, I have noticed in the catalogs that they sell clip and rivet connecting links. Do I need both? I am completly ignorant on this subject. Please advise.

Terry
                  The continuous non-master link chain requires that you remove the swingarm to replace it. You can get one but you have to get it from the dealer and it will be EXPENSIVE.

The riveted master link is as strong as a continuous chain if it is riveted properly but this requires a special tool but you can take the bike down to your local friendly shop and have them rivet it for you.

The clip master link is just like the one you have on you Schwinn bicycle... a clip keeps the side plate on and the masterlink together. I have never see any problems with these personally but I have heard horror stories from people who knew someone who was married to someone who...you get the picture. Just make sure that when you put on the clip you have it so that the open end of the clip is NOT in the direction of the chain rotation.

In this time of silly lawsuits, I think if the clips were dangerous the chain manufacturers would not produce and sell them.

Hap

Comment

I run the Original SUZUKI chain that came on her from the Factory

Comment

The chain on my bike has DID50 stamped on the links and I hate the snapping feel I get when I snap the throttle from closed to full open. My next bike will probably have a shaft. Hopefully hydraulic lifters too, does the Honda ST1300A have them?

Comment

I put on an RK 630 SO on my '78 GS750. It is an O-ring chain, and I almost never have to adjust it. With regular type chains, on any bike, I'm always tightening them. O-Ring is the way to go. Cheap chains are only if you're selling the bike. 8) Okay, I'll say it before the shaft guys do. "With a shafty, you never have to adjust a chain". There, beat you. Nah, nah! :roll:
                        Kevin
                        E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                        "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                        Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Ive found that my 1150 loves to eat chains (or it could be my heavy handedness) but when I do replace it I just buy a Standard O-ring chain.
                          Then when I install it I throw the masterlink clip away and peen over the ends of the link posts, instant endless chain. Everyone who i have talked to do this even the bike shops with no ill effects.

Comment

Working...
                          X