'82 850 GL exhaust fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 850 GL exhaust fix

Hello - congratulations on a terrific site! I am brand new to this site and have just purchased my bike about 3 weeks ago. I have a small exhaust leak in the pre-muffler which is the H shaped junction between the header pipes and the mufflers right under the case. The hole is on the top and there's no room to get to it. While there are four clamps holding it to the mufflers and the headers, it looks like the only way to get the thing out is to remove the headers. Unfortunately I broke two header bolts off and now have a major headache drilling them out. My question is has anyone found a better way to get to this part without removing the headers? I have been thinking about grinding off the mufflers and reattaching them, but I don't have a welding rig.

Bolts

I think you should be able to turn the header bolts out and replacement bolts are still available. Also, you may want to check with an auto muffler shop (like Midas) and see what they suggest. Some of those guys are pretty clever and have good ideas.
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Re: '82 850 GL exhaust fix

Originally posted by EZ OUT
      Hello - congratulations on a terrific site! I am brand new to this site and have just purchased my bike about 3 weeks ago. I have a small exhaust leak in the pre-muffler which is the H shaped junction between the header pipes and the mufflers right under the case. The hole is on the top and there's no room to get to it. While there are four clamps holding it to the mufflers and the headers, it looks like the only way to get the thing out is to remove the headers. Unfortunately I broke two header bolts off and now have a major headache drilling them out. My question is has anyone found a better way to get to this part without removing the headers? I have been thinking about grinding off the mufflers and reattaching them, but I don't have a welding rig.
      For the broken header bolts. I ended drilling them out and instaling Heli-Coils. I have never had much luck with EZ-Out. If you happen to break off the EZ-out then you have a worse problem. I coated the new bolts with anti-sieze and I painted the exposed bolt heads and flanges with high temp paint to reduce rust. Wked. well.
      Charlie

Comment

Good

Sounds like it worked out well...that's great! I broke off an E-Z out in one of the bolts that holds on the oil filter on a XS650 Yamaha one time and you're right.....it was really a mess.
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Re: Good

Originally posted by chuckycheese
          Sounds like it worked out well...that's great! I broke off an E-Z out in one of the bolts that holds on the oil filter on a XS650 Yamaha one time and you're right.....it was really a mess.
          Thanks CC,
          It was actually quite a bit of work. But if I ever need to get into my engine again. Pulling the headers will be a breeze. I rust-proof and anti-sieze anything that might be hard to deal with in the future.
          Charlie

Comment

82 850 GL Exhaust Fix Con't

Chucky and Landscape -
            Thanks fellas for the info. I managed to drill a hole in the one header bolt. Although multiple torchings and PB Blaster and ex outing did not budge it. I was able to thread a small bolt into that hole to hold the pipe on at least until I can take it to a local independent shop to see what they would charge to remove the headers and install the new bolts I bought. If it is not too much $, I will have them do the work. Otherwise, I may just do the same for the other bolt and ride it til the end of the season.
            Thanks again for the help! and if anyone out there has ever changed the pre-muffler on one of these please post a reply with your insight.

Comment

Last year I had to pull my head (timing chain skip/valve strike), and of course the header bolts were fused in place... I busted them off, and took the head to a local bike shop, so they could remove the bolts. Cost me $80 (this was a twin, so it's only 4 bolts, not 8 ), but they got the things out without drilling or re-tapping...

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_A
                Last year I had to pull my head (timing chain skip/valve strike), and of course the header bolts were fused in place... I busted them off, and took the head to a local bike shop, so they could remove the bolts. Cost me $80 (this was a twin, so it's only 4 bolts, not 8 ), but they got the things out without drilling or re-tapping...
                Hmmnn,

You mentioned what they didn't do to get them out.
                If they were fused and broken off flush?
                How did they get them out?

Comment

'82 850 GL Exhaust Fix

Thanks again to all who made comments. I did manage to drill out the old bolts and re-tap the holes. Because I could not get the new holes in the exact center, I had to ream out the collar clamps a little with my drill. Seemed to work okay. I used anti-sieze as well. Looks like I'll be riding again this weekend and will probably have to let the pre-muffler leak go until the season is over - which always comes too soon in Northern Ohio!
                  Will post a pix of the bike when I get my hands on a digital camera.

Comment

Re: '82 850 GL Exhaust Fix

Thanks again to all who made comments. I did manage to drill out the old bolts and re-tap the holes. Because I could not get the new holes in the exact center, I had to ream out the collar clamps a little with my drill. Seemed to work okay. I used anti-sieze as well. Looks like I'll be riding again this weekend and will probably have to let the pre-muffler leak go until the season is over - which always comes too soon in Northern Ohio!
                    Will post a pix of the bike when I get my hands on a digital camera.
                    Congrats on getting her going and bolts repalced. Now you will be able to get that that pre-muffler when you have time to deal with it.
                    Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by LandscapeMan
                      Originally posted by Dave_A
                      Hmmnn,

You mentioned what they didn't do to get them out.
                      If they were fused and broken off flush?
                      How did they get them out?
                      Broken off flush & fused...

Cycle shop grabbed the welder, welded some nuts to the broken bolts, and preceeded to use a welding torch to work them out...

My 850 (current fix-to-sell project), fortunately, comes with loose (they actually needed to be TIGHTENED) header bolts...

Comment

Yikes... I saw 80$ and thought that was a bit high, then I saw what you said next...

I was thinking of taking my wife's 450 to get 2 busted exhaust bolts removed, luckily they both busted about 1/2" out of the block. I am weary of trying anything myself and making it worse.

Comment

Working...
                        X